Lauryn Evarts talks diet, fitness, fashion, & health.

Why Dry Brushing Is The Freaking Shit

January 8, 2014
by
LAURYN

Lauryn Evarts talks diet, fitness, fashion, & health.

Lauryn Evarts talks diet, fitness, fashion, & health.
Hi, I’m Lauryn & I’m addicted ( like, absolutely totally addicted ) to dry brushing.

Ya, dry brushing.

I’m not talking about brushing your teeth/hair/brows/whatever.

I’m talking about your bod.

Soooo. What the F is dry brushing anyway?

First things first: if you read this post, you’ll remember I’m enthralled with the lymph system ( I walk around hitting myself daily ). I find it so interesting because there’s so many different elements & it seems like people forget about their poor, little lymph system.

This post also provided more of an explanation stating: “waking up the lymph system gets rid of excess fluid, bacteria, viruses, and cell waste. The lymphs act as check points along the passways of the vessels. And when they’re working well, we feel strong, healthy, and energized.”

& dry brushing stimulates the lymph system.

Cool, right?

But wait.

Let’s also explore what Mind Body Green says, “what is the largest organ in the body? What is one of the most important elimination organs in the body, playing a large role in daily detoxification? What organ receives a third of all the blood that is circulated in the body? When the blood is full of toxic materials, what organ will reflect this with problems? What organ is the last to receive nutrients in the body, yet the first to shows signs of imbalance or deficiency?”

Answer for all: the skin!

Which brings me to dry brushing: brushing the skin.

But dry. LOL.

Check out the benefits:

Lauryn Evarts talks diet, fitness, fashion, & health.

All the cool-ass benefits: dry brushing removes dead skin ( << because no one wants dead skin ), improves circulation, gets rid of cellulite ( yes, you heard that correctly. Cellulite-! ), sheds dead skin, rejuvenates the nervous system, eliminates clogged pores ( which help to better absorb nutrients ), & gives ya a major energy boost.

Sold.

I found exact directions from Mind Body Green; check it:

1.} Start on dry skin before bathing & work in gentle circular, upward motions, then longer, smoother strokes. You can use an exfoliate too ( I like this one ).

2.} Always begin at the ankles in upwards movements towards the heart – the lymphatic fluid flows through the body towards the heart, so it’s important that you brush in the same direction.

3.} Your back is the only exception to the preceding rule; brush from the neck down to the lower back.

4.} After you’ve finished with the ankles, move up to the lower legs, thighs, stomach, back and arms. Be cautious of softer and sensitive skin around the chest & breasts, and never brush over inflamed skin, sores, sun-burnt skin, or skin cancer. ( Also: ensure you shower to wash away the dead skin cells and impurities ).

Tip: alternating temperatures in the shower from hot to cold will further invigorate the skin and stimulate blood circulation, bring more blood to the outer layers of the skin.

Then follow it up with a slick moisturizer to nourish the skin— coconut oil works great!

Anyway, in America, ESP, most people’s circulation needs improvement.

Like realllll bad.

Many of us sit at desks for hours & hours without enough movement; circulation is key!

So on that note, start brushing your body, k?

Oh, & have no fear- this is def NOT my last post on the lymph system. I will research this until I’m dead.

K thx, bye.

x L

{{ For more information on dry brushing click here & here }}.

Lauryn Evarts talks diet, fitness, fashion, & health.

OH, ALSO:
LISTEN TO THE LATEST PODCAST EPISODE

56 comments | Leave a Comment +

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. sascha

I’d read somewhere that European girls start drybrushing around 12 when their mom’s pass this health tid-bit down. Why am I now 36 and just learning this?!?! I’ve also read that dry brushing is like exercise for your skin. It simply makes sense! And I can totally tell a difference! Thanks for this great post!

2. Samantha Torres

OMG this is so great. I can’t believe I’ve been missing out on this my whole life! Thank you x1000 for posting this, can’t wait to try it! This is indeed the freaking shit.

-Samantha
    Samantha Torres recently posted..Juan PabloMy Profile

3. Al

This is news to me! Thanks for sharing, I’m going to check out the products you mentioned! I love your blog!

Al

4. Caterina

I exfoliate once-twice a week in the shower using a body mitt – do you think the benefits are the same?
    Or must it be specifically dry brushing?

5. Sarah

Dry brushing is also great for preventing ingrown hairs (espesh in the bikini area)!! The woman who waxes me swears by them!

6. Amber

Lauryn thanks so much for the dry brushing information. Besides the brush you posted is there any other brushes you recommend that are a little less pricey?

7. Jessica

Yessss!! I’ve been dry brushing for the past few months after reading that Miranda Kerr swears by it to keep her body smooth and cellulite free. My skin is unbelievable lately! It’s a must in your daily routine and doesn’t take long at all.

8. Carrie Butterwick

Thanks so much for the info! I bought a dry brush about a year ago from the Body Shop and the girl knew nothing about it so I still bought it and have yet to use it!! I shall dig it out and start brushing!!!!

9. christine tataje

I’m an Esthetician and I dry brush my clients before waxing them. You can find good quality wooden boar bristle body brushes for super cheap, like $3.99, (bought one 2 wks ago) at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, HomeGoods.

10. Evie

This sounds like a terrible idea… Because I’m 1000000000% sure I’ll get super addicted and never be able to swim out of dry brushing religiously for the rest of my life. But if it keeps me cellulite-free and keeps my body super smooth, I’m totally willing to take the risk! 😉

11. Pingback: On The Dry Brushing Train | The Healthy Collective On The Dry Brushing Train |

12. Pingback: Brush Your Lips & Thank Me Later

13. Lucy

Thanks for spreading the word. Ive been skin brushing every day for 2 weeks now…and WOW…I will testify that everything is that is true. Also it’s like a detox you go to the bathroom alot metabolic waste. So yes it can help you lose weight. Also my skin looks so freaking incredible I just get compliments from everybody

14. Adam

Herro!

As a guy, I love dry brushing too! I have seen a huge difference in my skin! I also do my face with a smaller brush with gentle bristles. Since my fiancé and I live in AZ and can wear our swim suits anytime/any day we are focused on dry brushing our butts!

Check out my project on indiegogo that is geared towards dry brushing our butts:)

15. Amy

Hi, which dry brush do you specifically use and from where? There’s so many options. The one from Bliss World (elemis body detox brush) didn’t look like the same one you were using so I was curious. Can’t wait to try this! Thanks

16. Jess

Hey Lauryn – Loved your recent snapchat on dry brushing! Question – will this ruin a spray tan or cause it to fade quicker? Thanks!

17. Alice

Where should I got to read about Lymph nodes? Is there a book or something you read initially? I have no idea about it but it sounds interesting!

18. Pingback: VALLEY OF THE DOLLS VIBES With Bloglovin'

19. Jessica

How do you use the body scrub with? Do you apply to skin before brushing or do you use in shower after brushing?

20. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF | customeronboardingzone

21. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF | Roumor

22. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF - Buzz And Gossip

23. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF - Alex Poucher

24. Pingback: HoopingMovement.com » Blog Archive » I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF

25. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF | Free Books Zone

26. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF | CNN LIFEHACKS 2015

27. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF | Big Box of Awesome

28. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF - Now Omaha

29. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF | Big Box of Pop

30. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing To See If It Actually Works | CNN LIFEHACKS 2015

31. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing To See If It Actually Works | NewPages Guide to Blogs & Daily News Sites, sports, business, entertainment

32. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing To See If It Actually Works – Slugline.io

33. Pingback: I Tried Dry Skin Brushing So I Could Be Fancy AF – Viraltor

34. Pingback: MEOW! Keeping It Sexy This Spring

35. Pingback: What is Perfection: Detox Your Skin

36. Pingback: COME SHOWER WITH ME?

37. Pingback: A Peek Inside My Post Workout Skin Care Routine (& a Giveaway!!)