are_lowfat_multigrain_foods_really_healthy

Cut the BS: Educate Yourself on The Unhealthiest of ‘Health’ Foods

August 20, 2013
by
LAURYN

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Let’s get real for a sec & really examine foods that people think are ‘good’ for them.

Because, YOLO.

It’s not worth it to ruin this beautiful life with crappy foods.

Ok, here we go. Ahem!!

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Gawd.

This one bugs.

Like, seriously bugs.

Marketers made it seem like agave syrup/nectar is the cat’s meow.

Here’s the real deal: it’s mostly fructose ( meaning it’s processed & has NOTHING to do with the agave plant ).

This sickie syrup in large doses can cause liver disease, diabetes, & hypertension.

Opt for Stevia or raw sugs instead.

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Sick.

I mean, really.

Fake butter?

Margarine is known as a “heart attack in a tub, loaded with trans fats. Trans fats contribute to heart disease, cancer, & hormone imbalance.

Real freaking butter isn’t as bad as ya think. It’s actually loaded with vitamins, minerals, & other nutrients.

Side note: try to find unpasteurized dairy products- they’re the bomb.com.

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Oh, that’s cute.

Your boyfriend went to the store and bought you a bagel & ‘orange juice.’

Not so fast. And sorry– not so cute.

Check your OJ’s ingreds out ( or any kind of fruit juice for that matter ).

Many store-bought juices are commercially prepared OJ. Meaning they’re fake as shit.

Yuck.

Some companies even add artificial flavor packs ( I literally just threw up in my mouth ). And all concentrated juices contain high fructose corn syrup.

Drinking this much sugar on the reg can increase your risk of kidney disease & heart disease.

So next Sunday morning grab some real oranges and DIY aka make your own juice.

Cleaner, healthier, & it’s fun, fun, fun to juice it up!

‘Fat free’ and ‘low fat’ is so 1991.

So thank God it’s 2013 now & we all ( hopefully? ) know fat is not bad for you.

Avocados are fat.

Coconuts are fat.

Nuts are fat.

And they’re all amaze for health & wellness.

The bod cannot function without saturated fats, peeps.

Just don’t even look anything labeled “fat free’ or ‘low fat.’

Mmkay?

Happy Tuesday! x.

xx.Lauryn

{ source }

OH, ALSO:

LISTEN TO THE LATEST PODCAST EPISODE

30 comments | Leave a Comment +

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Sweat vs. Sweets

I love this post!!

It is all SO true, and I am really trying at the moment to find the balance of eating fresh food and non packaged items.
    I love nuts and am trying to love avocado as well, as a great source of good fats!
    Sweat vs. Sweets recently posted..{L} Week That Was…My Profile

2. Kristen N

Oh man. My mother in law is CRAZY for the low-fat/fat free shit. She’s always trying to push it all on me as a way to “keep calories in check” and “eat healthier.” Um, I’d rather be consuming real food that will actually do something good for my body!

Thanks for informing the uninformed! Great post.

3. Hannah

Ah, I didn’t know about agave nectar!! I think I’ve learned more reading your blog than I have in class.

4. Kristie

I love this post. I couldn’t agree with you more about butter. Also, I love what you said about healthy ‘fat’ food. Keep up these awesome posts!

5. Mallory

I love this! I wish my mom would listen to me about low fat/no fat food. Real, clean food in moderation is not that hard! I, for one, love real butter. I even make my own every so often, surprisingly not that hard if you have a stand mixer, plus you get some fresh buttermilk as a by-product. I found a locally produced non-homogenized, batch pasteurized milk – pasteurized but at a lower temp for longer time which maintains more good stuff but still kills bad stuff – at Whole Foods that I love also.

6. Elizabeth M-B

I’m totally with you on all of this, especially the concentrated juice. A few more things that might belong on the list: power bars, “light” popcorn, and even nonfat milk!

7. Kirsten

LOVE this post, Lauryn!!! I just sent this link out to my gfs and bookmarked for future reference…Think how far we’ve come since the non-organic jug ‘o juice days. :)
    xxoo
    Kirsten

8. Carla

I eat and drink non of the above except Agave in my porridge. Consider it in the trash (the Agave, not the porridge).

9. Brittany

Loving and sharing this post! So many people don’t realize how “health foods” aren’t really that healthy. I watched a documentary on the food industry and how unhealthy Americans are and I loved this quote from one of the experts “The problem is that we aren’t eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products”. So true!

10. Nicole

I wish I read this before I purchased my agave the other day! I love trying new healthy things, and when I saw agave at the store a few days ago, I was so excited to buy it because of how much “healthier” it is than sugar! Yuck, I just wasted $6 :(
    Nicole recently posted..Food ideas for work/schoolMy Profile

11. amanda

Love your your blog, it is so entertaining and I think you provide some great health and beauty tips for people! Plus I love your foodie posts!

I did notice that you didn’t mention were the dangers associated with consuming unpasteurized dairy products. I know it is really trendy right now and their are some good biochemical points to it, and I think it is best to eat as many whole, unprocessed foods as possible. Healthy individuals can tolerate it but it isn’t a trend suited for everyone. Pregnant women, infants and children should not consume unpasteurized diary products and immune-compromised individuals shouldn’t consume those products either. These people should definitely consult their doctor or dietitian first.

I think we would both like to think that it is common sense and people know whether or not it would be safe for them to have it, but some people do not know it can be dangerous. Just a disclaimed you should think about adding to some of your nutrition tips like that one.

12. Brittany

I try to reference this list when choosing items like OJ to make sure that they don’t have HFCS…http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html. I hate how many brands that market themselves as healthy are actually quite the opposite! Thanks for the info on Agave, I had no idea about that one!

13. Yumefulfilled

Yes to this post! I’ve been trying to be consistent with choosing healthy options. Grew up on margarine (horrible I know) and have recently purged it as an option regardless of my small shopping budget. I’d rather not buy it and save hundreds or thousands of dollars in health insurance costs than put out a $1.50 to further ruin my body.

Just discovered your blog via Pinterest. Looking forward to reading more.

Cheers!