Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and lifestyle blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.

The Sickie, Disgusting Truth About Sugar-Free Coffee Syrups

July 23, 2013
by
LAURYN

Please don’t be that person in line at Starbucks.

You know the person that thinks they’re totally healthy because they order sugar-free syrup in their AM coffee instead of regular, old syrup?

News flash!!!

If you’re trying to keep your weight down ( & wanting to be healthy/sexy ) then sugar-free shit isn’t the way to go. Why? Because:

1.} There are a ton of sick-ass chemicals in fake sweeteners. These fake sweeteners increase ( yes, you heard that correctly, increase ) the appetite. So WTF is the point of sugar-free crap if it increases your appetite? Beats me.

2.} Throw that Equal in the trash! I mean, really. Aspartame is the devil. It’s known to cause seizers & brain tumors.

3.} Sucralose isn’t any better. Those bright, cute colored packages of Splenda? Fail. Big fail. Splenda can enlarge the liver & kidneys while shrinking the thymus gland. Some other fun effects from this nasty chemical? Panic, diarrhea, headaches, bladder problems, & stomach pains. Don’t be fooled by marketing.

And your local coffee shop’s sugar-free syrups most likely contain one or more of the above chemicals. Disgusting, right?!

Tomorrow, when you’re ordering a cup of Joe, try using cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice as an all-natural sweetener. If you’re DYING for a sugary taste, please do yourself a favor & use organic Stevia ( it’s derived from a plant ) instead. Eat real foods!

I beg, I beg.

Besides sugar-free syrup in your coffee is pretty gross if you really think about it.

xx.L

{ source }

OH, ALSO:
LISTEN TO THE LATEST PODCAST EPISODE

45 comments | Leave a Comment +

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Jenni

Try honey or maple syrup in place of agave. Agave is so highly processed it might as well be high fructose corn syrup. I’ve even heard it referred to as being worse than HFCS.
      Jenni recently posted..Early Bird BreakfastMy Profile

1. katie

i have been trying to kick my sickie sugar free habit for a while now but this post made me go into my kitchen and through away any remaining sugar free stuff that I was “using up” !! thanks for the info !<3

2. Jessica

Noted!!! I will not be ordering that again with my skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks. Thanks for the post :-)

1. Cristina

Just FYI, the sugar free syrup IS what makes a “skinny” latte, skinny.

Love everything about your site Lauryn!

2. Noelle

Um Cristina….nope. It’s not just the syrup. It’s also the milk- they end up using skim and that’s the bulk of why sugar free drinks are so low in calories. FYI.

3. shelley

The lack of knowledge about healthful eating is astonishing. The other day I heard someone saying how healthy their sugar free pudding cup was because it has hardly any calories….WHAT?!

When is the US going to catch up on the fact that low calories does not equal healthy, that putting fakey garbage into our mouths will never help us to permanently lose the weight or find health, and that these chemicals are straight up horribly dangerous? I sure hope we catch up soon!

4. Jessica

I always put cinnamon or loose leaf tea in with my coffee grounds in the morning and it is sooo delish! I’ve noticed that I’ve cut back in how much sugar I use in my coffee since I started doing that.

5. Mallory

I’ve always preferred my coffee black so I’ve never had to worry in that case buuutt, I’m from the South and was practically raised on sweet tea. I recently (finally) kicked my diet coke-a-day habit, so it’s been super hard to let go of sweet tea. I transitioned to unsweet tea with sweet n’ low (I know – not much better than equal or splenda) but I just started carrying stevia packets in my purse because restaurants NEVER have stevia and I’m so glad I did, especially after reading this post!

6. The Delicate Place (@misathemeb)

couldn’t agree more! i used to be so addicted to splenda several years ago and it caused me intestinal distress and my cravings for sweets went through the roof! i can’t even use stevia these days because it gives me headaches! i just use unsweetened nut mylk or soy on occasion in my cup or tea/java. sooooo much better for you too!

7. Meredith

I put 1 tbsp of so delicious coconut milk creamer. Does the trick for me and its only 20 calories! yay! and free of everything!

8. Jenni

Ew, I hate fake sweeteners. I don’t drink coffee, but even so I refuse to consume fake sweeteners in anything. I don’t like the taste of stevia, so I use honey or maple syrup in pretty much anything I make at home that requires some sweetness. My honest opinion is that a little sugar never killed anybody. It’s all about moderation. The girl who puts real sugar in her coffee is being much healthier than the girl who reaches for the no-cal Equal.
    Jenni recently posted..Early Bird BreakfastMy Profile

1. ayesha

Exactly! There was a phase when I bugged my mom to let me use sugar free. She refused to. But when I researched about it, I was so happy I did. I figured if i want to eat food like that, Il eat it royally (portion controlled, obviously) without really cutting out its goodness. Or ill just eat healthy.
      ayesha recently posted..A voidMy Profile

9. Karen

Thank YOU FINALLY someone who understands that splenda is NOT healthy. Its irritating that everyone leans for spleanda because they think its super healthy.
    WRONG – why bother with the shit? If you’re looking for sugar, just use the real stuff!
    Karen recently posted..Body Movin; Up & Down Cardio WorkoutMy Profile

10. Kathryn @ Illustrated Nutrition

Thank you SO much for sharing this! The world needs to start coming to terms with the fact that “sugar-free” or “calorie-free” does NOT make it healthy. Our bodies were not created to be able to process these horrible and harsh chemicals all the time. Thanks Lauryn!
    Kathryn @ Illustrated Nutrition recently posted..Kitchen DelightsMy Profile

11. Kristi

Although I tend to feel better when I cut out sweetener of any kind, this article is great food for thought concerning aspartame/stevia. I very much believe there is still much to learn about Stevia; just because it comes from a plant doesn’t mean it’s in any way shape or form good for you. Doesn’t mean it’s bad, either. Also there are arguments against the claims that aspartame is in fact capable of seriously compromising your health. I don’t think there are any definite answers, but it is safe to say staying away from sweetener won’t hurt you :D. Hahaha. But I just think this article is interesting! I know I’ve strayed away from artificial sweeteners recently, but there were years where I drank diet soda as well as used sugar free syrups and never experienced a negative side effect. Was never bloated, never felt like it increased my appetite, never had any health problems… I think a lot of it is case by case.

12. Cheryl

This is a great site. Also be aware that Starbucks only uses sweetened soy milk in their lattes, so even if you opt out of any kind of syrup your tall latte will still have 14 grams of sugar in it… Of course its real sugar and not artificial sweetener, but for those of you (like me) who are trying to eliminate added sugar from your diet beware! It’s very misleading, especially when it’s called a “sugar free” latte when you use their artificially sweetened syrups.

13. Pingback: The Truth About Blended Chemicals AKA Frappuccinos

14. Kortney

Ick!! So how should you order a latte if you still want that vanilla flavor but no fake sick crap?

15. Steph

I used to 100% agree. I still agree with you. But sometimes people are “that person” in line because they actually can’t have the sugar based sryups…which are also full of bad stuff. I haven’t had a flavored coffee beverage in 4 months, since I found out I was diabetic. However, I want an iced vanilla latte soo bad. I will be getting a sugar free one today. I don’t think you should do that every day or even every week but sometimes you do what you got to do.

16. Jess

I don’t care if I use sugar free syrups. It doesn’t give me sugar cravings and I’ve had no side effects.
    To each their own.

17. Faith

You know the only drink I get from Starbucks is sugar free and it keeps me from stomach Aches and I have never had any of those Simptoms and I drink it all the time and if it increases the appetite and you don’t want to gain weight, just eat crackers or somthing else you normally have as a snack, it’s not a big deal and I’m still a very healthy person

18. Cindy

All non sugar sweetners are all processed. None of them are good for you. Best thing is to use regular sugar & just reduce the amount that you use to the very minmum that you need to achieve a sweet flavor. It’s trial & error. Best not at all.

19. Casey

I had read that stevie has caused miscarriages. I like to use monk fruit extract. I usually keep in my purse.

20. Linda

no wonder i never lose weight while drinking skinny dolce latte! even one day i didnt have anything beside two starbucks! not one pound

21. Deetzah

Hi, agree with what you said but do be careful with “natural” sugar substitutes. I’m allergic/sensitive to Stevia. It can cause issues too. It’s an herb. People with ragweed allergy may be sensitive and other people as well. So just plain old sugar in moderation is best for some. :-)

22. Ann

I honestly don’t think it makes much of a difference if you occasionally (and I mean occasionally) order a coffee with sugar-free syrup. Of all the side effects you have discussed, I’m sure much like everything else you would find that even the most “natural” of products (my main focus here being sugar) link to heart disease, have carcinogens, cause diarrhoea, stomach pain… The list goes on. As with everything, moderation is the key word in my opinion and have what you enjoy as you could get struck down by a car tomorrow and that won’t be caused by a few sweeteners in your coffee.

23. Katrina

Hi i have prader will syndrome. And epilepsy i cant have sugar syrups. Due its high sugar my body grabs onto hard to swift weight. I have no choice but to use sugar free syrup. Prader willi is genetic causes obesisty which my weight is ok.

24. James H

The fear-mongering over artificial sweeteners is ridiculous! Where’s the evidence to support those outlandish health claims??? Brain tumors from Equal? Really?? Just. Stop.