The Skinny Confidential || A Lifestyle Blog. by: Lauryn Evarts

The Truth About Blended Chemicals AKA Crappuccinos

The Skinny Confidential talks diet, fitness, and wellness.

I can’t.

I just…can’t with Frappaccinos.

If you’re a fan, I sincerely apologize in advance ( & maybe you shouldn’t continue reading ).

First off remember circa 2001 when Britney Spears gained all that weight & blamed on Frapps?

Everyone thought it was a cop out? Well, err, ehh I actually believe her.

These blended chemical-filled drinks are so disgusting, I’m surprised they’re even legal.

Like, seriously, WTF?

Anyway let’s get down to it…here’s the real deal on Frappacinos AKA Crappacinos:

First off there’s 81 ( eighty one!!! 8!!! 1!!! 81!!! 8-1!!! ) grams of sugar in a caramel Venti Crapp.

Ok, so 81 grams of sugar is equal to three Snicker bars…hmmm…

& let’s not even talk about the carbs ( 87 grams ) or calories ( 510 cals ) or fat ( 17 grams ).

Yikes!

Ok, so get this caramel coloring equals carcinogen.

Heard of it??

Basically according to this source, “caramel coloring is manufactured by heating ammonia and sulfites under high pressure, which is what creates the carcinogenic compounds. Animal testing has resulted in liver, lung, and thyroid tumors in mice. Coke and Pepsi changed their formulas when it was discovered that caramel coloring could be contributing to thousands of cancer deaths every year because they were using dangerous amounts of it in their sodas. They figured it could be bad for business if they had to include a cancer warning label on the can or bottle. And don’t expect the FDA to protect you because caramel coloring is still on their list of approved additives.”

Annnnddd don’t even start me on Starbucks oatmeal— that’s contains caramel coloring too!!

Fun times.

Oh & you ready for this one? Starbucks admitted here that their strawberry Frappy contains crushed bugs. Yes, bugs.

They say “crushed bugs are harmless.” I say “no thanks.”

& hey, if you have to have a Crappuccino, be smart. Skip the whipped cream, syrup, & at least order a small.

Also, you guys know I’m all about modifying— I’m not big on deprivation, so of course I had to create a DIY version:

The Skinny Confidential Real Deal Frapp:

♡ 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or Suja’s ‘Vanilla Cloud’

♡ 1/2 cup coffee ( this is my favorite brand )

♡ 2-3 tablespoons 100% maple syrup

♡ A few sprinkles of cinnamon & nutmeg

♡ Top with caramel toasted coconut flakes

♡ 1 handful ice

+ Blend & enjoy!

Next time you’re at Starbucks opt for organic tea & BYOOC ( AKA bring your own organic coffee- like this one ).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news- please don’t shoot the messenger!!

Happy Tuesday, xx Lauryn

{ Want more? Read the truth about sickie, disgusting syrups here }.

55 comments on The Truth About Blended Chemicals AKA Crappuccinos

1. Hannah
    04.01.14 at 7:37 pm (2 years ago)

Am I tripping or did you already post this?

04.01.14 at 7:41 pm (2 years ago)

Nope! Just a post on organic coffee & gross Starbucks syrups. Not Frapps yet!! xx.

2. Cheri @ Overactive Blogger
    04.01.14 at 7:41 pm (2 years ago)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Now granted, Fraps make me fat and not fast (I’m a runner) so I can’t enjoy them very much but I used to enjoy them before you told us how shitty Starbucks coffee was a few weeks back. ::sigh:: oh well, I’ll have to try your replacement! (Also how bad is the nonfat one for you? Pretty bad huh, with all that fake sugar I bet?)

3. Kathryn
    04.01.14 at 7:52 pm (2 years ago)

I work at starbucks haha and its true! I’m not really a coffee person I much prefer tea but hey every once is a while I get a small frapp, its like my flaming hot cheetos :)

04.01.14 at 8:08 pm (2 years ago)

Trust me…I get it! At least it’s a small!!! X

4. Leigh
    04.01.14 at 8:00 pm (2 years ago)

I work at Starbucks and hate almost all of our CRAP! Especially extra caramel crappuccinos. Yuck! I’ve watched so many regulars gain so much weight over the years… Sad ;(

5. Jenni
    04.01.14 at 8:09 pm (2 years ago)

I couldn’t agree more. Whenever I see girls drinking those heinous drinks it takes everything in me not to give them the whole lecture you just posted. Frapps are disgusting. I can’t even believe some of the foods and beverages that exist today…and that people actually consume them! Gag gag gag.
    Jenni recently posted..Weekend Words No. 4My Profile

6. Courtney Bentley
    04.01.14 at 8:25 pm (2 years ago)

So happy you are making people aware! As a personal trainer the very first thing I find is my clients obsession with a daily chemically enhanced 4-500 calorie Starbucks. Its incredible how much weight my clients lose not to mention the money they save from making there own tea at home or buying tea at starbucks instead. It makes me sick to think I used to drink a venti java chip that thing was like 1000 calories with tons of sugar! Great post hun lots of love C
    Courtney Bentley recently posted..Desk Workout: Workout You Can Do At WorkMy Profile

7. Stefanie
    04.01.14 at 9:34 pm (2 years ago)

nooooooo! Whats the deal with their oatmeal?? I actually like it and get it from time to time :(

8. Sarah
    04.02.14 at 12:42 am (2 years ago)

Starbucks employee here. While I totally agree with you that frappuccinos are disgusting and shouldn’t even be sold, I have to clarify two outdated points. First, no more crushed bugs in the strawberry juice. Within two weeks of that being brought to light, they changed the formula. The red coloring is now extracted from tomatoes. Second, no more caramel coloring in the oatmeal. They switched from processed crap to stone ground oats. Both changes happened relatively recently, though – within the last 18 months.

That said, I hate that we even sell frappuccinos and other disgusting syrups. We are the Philip Morris of diabetes, and if the insurance benefits weren’t so great, I’d quit tomorrow.

04.02.14 at 2:47 am (2 years ago)

This is GREAT news!!! Thank God!!! Thanks for this info. xx

• Charlotte
      04.02.14 at 8:46 am (2 years ago)

Thank god the oatmeal’s OK!!!

9. Brittny Alys
    04.02.14 at 4:43 am (2 years ago)

Coming from Portland, OR where there is a Starbucks literally at every corner, I totally agree with you! So glad you posted this for people to be aware. I now live in Italy where there are ZERO Starbucks and I sometimes miss the atmosphere of a Starbucks where I would get an unsweetened black iced tea, but never those yuck in a cup fraps! BLEH! Your recipe sounds great, love the use of almond milk. Great blog!

-Brittny

10. Ashley
    04.02.14 at 5:31 am (2 years ago)

Uck, disgusting. I’m glad you posted this. I may have to send it to a few people who could use the wake up call! I’m not sure why some people think that running to Starbucks for their “morning coffee” (hence, venti triple shot extra carmel frapp) is ever a good idea!
    Ashley recently posted..Homemade GingeraleMy Profile

11. chelle
    04.02.14 at 5:36 am (2 years ago)

While I totally agree, ew. It is a WIDE epidemic that our society must combat if we are ever going to be healthy. That said, the 7 billion people on the planet cannot eat totally healthy. Our planet could not sustain it.

I drink the tea and coffee … though now I am going to find your post on the coffee.
    chelle recently posted..Book Review: The Happiness Project, by Gretchen RubinMy Profile

12. Julie
    04.02.14 at 5:42 am (2 years ago)

On the rare occasion I go to Starbucks, I always get a “London Fog” aka Earl Gray tea with steamed milk and sometimes a pump or two of vanilla (or if I’m feeling healthy I’ll skip the vanilla). So good.
    Julie recently posted..“Beijos” – Getting smoochy in BrazilMy Profile

13. Ursula
    04.02.14 at 5:54 am (2 years ago)

Gross! I’ve never had one and now I never will. These thing should come with a warning label :)

14. Jennifer
    04.02.14 at 5:55 am (2 years ago)

Lauren! I just posted my alternative to “crappuccinos”! Love this article! When I was researching how gross they are needed your info.! Great post!

15. Melissa
    04.02.14 at 6:34 am (2 years ago)

My mom and I always believed that Starbucks adds some sort of additive to their drinks, b/c we just can’t seem to fathom how people keep going back for more of this CrAp!!! Separately, a while ago you mentioned that you stopped drinking soy milk & lost 5 pounds, you mentioned you may do a post on this…can you please???? thanks! love your blog & your book!!!!

16. Kristie
    04.02.14 at 6:54 am (2 years ago)

Curious because I get the coffee frap with soy no whip cream. Is this one bad? And how many calories?

17. Emily
    04.02.14 at 6:58 am (2 years ago)

Gross. I knew they were bad calorie/sugar/fat wise but I never knew this!! I just grabbed a yogurt from there for breakfast and just threw it out.
    Emily recently posted..26 Things Worse Than April Fool’s DayMy Profile

18. Victoria
    04.02.14 at 6:59 am (2 years ago)

So disgusting! The only frappe that I *ever* got from starbucks was the matcha green tea one (with soy, no (added) sugar, and no whip, of course). But once I figured out how to DIY it, I’ll never go back.

19. Eleri
    04.02.14 at 7:16 am (2 years ago)

Crappuccino’s indeed. SO disgusting! I’ve never been a fan just because of all the calories + sugar etc, but equally had no idea about the caramel colouring drama. Thanks for sharing! xx

Eleri Roberts

20. Eleri
    04.02.14 at 7:17 am (2 years ago)

21. Sami
    04.02.14 at 7:32 am (2 years ago)

Seriously LOVE that you post these things with so much info to back it up. I send them all to my bf – don’t even need to add commentary 😉 It’s been a process trying to influence his diet in a healthier direction, come a long way.. now just for the Starbucks modifications.

THANK YOU!

22. Lisa @ Simple Pairings
    04.02.14 at 7:59 am (2 years ago)

Couldn’t agree more with you!! Seriously, 81 grams of sugar in ONE drink?? The poor bodies that ingest that stuff. Sugar in itself is poison, and combined with all those the chemical additives equals one disgusting drink! I can’t drink them anyway – way too sweet – but still. I just wish companies were more conscious of health and happiness. Is it so wrong to want an organic fresh-pressed REAL fruit and vegetable juice bar on all corners? Take me there…
    Lisa @ Simple Pairings recently posted..latelyMy Profile

23. Lisa @ Simple Pairings
    04.02.14 at 8:02 am (2 years ago)

Lisa @ Simple Pairings recently posted..latelyMy Profile

24. Ashley
    04.02.14 at 8:04 am (2 years ago)

I gave up fraps and soda at the same time in high school, and five years later I can say that my decision was one of the best ones that I have ever made!!!!! Mysteriously, the muffin top that had started to creep over my jeans freshman year of high school disappeared once I made the choice to drink clean :)
    Thank you soooo much for bringing awareness about this issue!!!!!!

25. Tris
    04.02.14 at 8:07 am (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for this! I never have cared much for Starbucks, but do like espresso so making your real feel frap will be a nice twist on ice coffee, which I love because I live in a really warm and humid city (miami, fl).

26. tamsinamy
    04.02.14 at 9:00 am (2 years ago)

this is heartbreaking and thought provoking and devastating all at once!
    i’m glad you have informed me before it’s too late i was planning on having a major frapp splurge over summer….guess I’ll have to stick to iced green teas!

27. Candice Jackson
    04.02.14 at 9:51 am (2 years ago)

You have confirmed my suspicions! I havnt had a frap.. I’m mean crapachino in 4+ years and I will never again.. every time i had one i felt bad for the next day or 2, now i know why..

28. Melissa
    04.02.14 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

I love this… I don’t drink crappuccinos, beacuse I don’t like how sugary they are- but this is VERY eye opening. Thank you for sharing! My question- I drink an Americano everyday with a splash of soy in it. I’m starting to think that I should just invest in my own espresso machine to make my own Americanos. What is your view on Starbucks Americanos? PS- I enjoy your blog and look forward to reading it everyday! xoxo

29. marie
    04.02.14 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

wow your posts keep getting better and better! i love how you break it down to us in a funny/interesting/in your face way !! i used to get chai lattes from starbucks on occasions but now i’ll be switching to tea if i have to get something.
    how do you create your pictures i love the lettering you added for the title xx

30. Vero Et
    04.02.14 at 11:55 am (2 years ago)

Can I ask why you are so opposed to using insects/bugs?

31. Tamara WINAWER
    04.02.14 at 12:55 pm (2 years ago)

sounds delicious…those fraps scare me too…i always tell my clients they’re better off with a small ice cream milkshake if they’re dying for one. (organic ingredients of course). may i impose upon you please to re-post the homemade sprite recipe?

32. whitney herrera
    04.02.14 at 1:24 pm (2 years ago)

I have certainly enjoyed a crap or 10 in the past but I cut them out completely this year. I think the best part about this post is the actual Starbucks employees commenting in full disgust over their products! Awesome!
    whitney herrera recently posted..4th Grade Awards DayMy Profile

33. Chelsie
    04.02.14 at 1:49 pm (2 years ago)

I heard about Starbucks’ cancer causing syrups on CNN last week. Also, the preservatives they use in their so called tasty “pastries” are horrible for you!! Not to mention the calorie content, carbs, etc. I’m so glad I weaned myself off of frapps years ago. Sticking to solely brewed coffee on occasion!

34. peppylady (Dora)
    04.02.14 at 2:42 pm (2 years ago)

There always a way to skinny down something. If you have to do starbuck you don’t have to purchase large you can down size.
    Anyhow starbuck can add up quickly.

I listed your blog in my post today 4/2/14
    peppylady (Dora) recently posted..B Is The Second Letter of the Alphabet.My Profile

35. Jenna Ericson
    04.02.14 at 3:44 pm (2 years ago)

Gotta say, even though I already knew how awful they are, sometimes I still love the occasional unsweetened green tea frap in the summer time. The matcha is sweet enough on its own to taste like a special dessert to me hahaha.
    Jenna Ericson recently posted..Starting Over | the running diariesMy Profile

36. Sarah C
    04.02.14 at 5:42 pm (2 years ago)

So after your last post about Seaworth Coffee Co. I went and bought a bottle of the the single fin sludge and one of the coconut flavor (had to had it shipped to Florida!). I had an “iced coffee” today and was amazed by the taste! I have to admit I’ve had a lot of Starbucks the last 4 years in grad school but now that you’ve introduced me to Seaworth Coffee Co. there’s no going back!! I feel good knowing that its so much better for me than the Starbucks!

Thank you Lauryn!

04.02.14 at 9:11 pm (2 years ago)

Yay!!! So happy to hear this. Literally makes me SMILEEEE!!

37. Lauren Hardy
    04.04.14 at 11:50 am (2 years ago)

This is seriously disgusting, I know some people that drink multiple fraps a day!

38. Rose
    04.04.14 at 3:01 pm (2 years ago)

You can’t eat or drink something anymore or it’s bad for you, I’d still drink it.
    Rose recently posted..Be creative red nailpolishMy Profile

39. Gloria
    05.08.14 at 1:09 pm (2 years ago)

I never knew this!
    This post was very informative :)!

40. Jennica
    05.11.14 at 7:45 am (2 years ago)

I believe you, honey! I thank my stars that I’m not a fan of frappes. I had some before and they just taste too sweet for me, I can feel the sugar going through my veins. That’s not how “good food” feels like. Thank you for sharing this! :)
    Jennica recently posted..How we got fat in Baguio: Good Taste RestaurantMy Profile

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Truth About Blended Chemicals AKA Crappuccinos

1. […] 6. Re: Frappacinnos – Yep, exactly what she said (Skinny Confidential) […]

2. […] Crappucinos! I love it […]