Why I’m a Cold Brew Coffee-Whore

Lauryn Evarts talks about Seaworth Coffee Company.

Lauryn Evarts talks about Seaworth Coffee Company. Guess what guys?

I used to be a real Starbucks-whore.

Key words: ‘used to.’

That’s right. We broke up.

I mean, it’s still fun to grab a Venti iced green tea &/or a protein plate ( << I love eating the egg & apples when I’m on the go ) but I’m totally over their coffee.

Why?

Glad ya asked.

Lauryn Evarts talks about Seaworth Coffee Company.

According to the amazing Food Babe it sucked. In her own words: “you might think it is a bit radical to suggest not drinking their most prized ingredient that makes over 85,000 different combination of drinks, but it’s also radical drinking and paying a premium for coffee that’s ridden with potential toxins. Let’s get real here, they do not actually serve organic coffee at most Starbucks locations, which means (like all brands of conventional coffee) it’s been sprayed with pesticides. We all know Starbucks coffee ain’t cheap, but most people don’t know that regular consumption of conventional coffee can be a serious source of pesticide exposure.

Starbucks coffee is grown all over the world in developing nations. The United States doesn’t regulate the type and amount of pesticides foreign countries use in their production of coffee beans, which makes consuming non-organic coffee on a regular basis pretty risky. You could be drinking toxins from pesticides that are in fact banned here in the United States but not else where, like the pesticide Chlorpyrifos that is a contact poison. It has caused human deaths, and has been linked to birth defects. It is extremely toxic to birds, freshwater and marine organisms, bees, and other wildlife.

Furthermore, we know that increased exposure to pesticides are linked to birth defects, nerve damage and cancer. The President’s Cancer Panel has urged us not to consume food sprayed with pesticides and doesn’t believe any amount is safe.

And in regards to their decaf… did you know that conventional decaffeinated coffees are made decaf by soaking the beans with a chemical called ethyl acetate used in nail polish and glues and a carcinogen called methylene chloride?” { source }

Lauryn Evarts talks about Seaworth Coffee Company.

So here’s the deal: I’m not in love with coffee. I like one shot ( sometimes two ) of espresso about five days a week. It gives me a lil zing & makes me ten times more productive.

So ya, I freaked when I read about Starbucks.

BUT.

Have no fear because Seaworth is here.

Seaworth is my brand new, sexy boyfriend who was introduced to me by my other boyfriend, Michael ( << he’s been a cold brew coffee drinker for a while so he deserves a 100% ).

It’s seriously amazing. I buy one jug of the cold brew coffee & drink it throughout a two week duration. Every AM I’ll have about four ounces a day over ice with cinnamon & nutmeg ( << and a STRAW, naturally ).

Some deets on Seaworth cold brew coffee via their rad website: “each cold brew batch is carefully hand-crafted and brewed in a temperature controlled environment for a full eighteen hours, then double filtered and bottled by hand in glass – never plastic. We spare no expense in our ingredients either. Our signature blend is made of only the freshest locally roasted, hand-selected, fair-trade organic coffee beans, crystal clear, cold purified water and a whole lot of sunny California love. No unnecessary ingredients – ever. It’s a painstaking process, but we’re pretty sure that this will be some of the best coffee you’ve ever had.”

Ya. So that’s why I switched. Organic, pure, purified, & no added sickie ingredients.

Zero, zilch, nada, zip.

Because that’s what The Skinny Confidential lifestyle is all about: no unnecessary, add chemical shit.

Keep it simple.

Oh, & OMG don’t even get me started on barf-y Frappuccinos ( I can’t. I just can’t )…because that’s like, a ten page post.

Side: I’m super excited that Starbucks has committed to this movement. Woot-woot.

X L

{ This isn’t a product review, I genuinely love this product & drink it everyday. x. }

Lauryn Evarts talks about Seaworth Coffee Company.

Newer comments

36 comments on Why I’m a Cold Brew Coffee-Whore

1. Sofie
    03.20.14 at 1:26 am (4 months ago)

Herbal teas all the way for me! Coffee makes me anxious and I can’t sleep if I drink it.. Would not in a million years get any coffee from Starbucks or any chain like that. So sugary and vile!
    x

2. Ali
    03.20.14 at 5:42 am (4 months ago)

Sidenote: rumor has it that Starbucks doesn’t support the troops out there

03.20.14 at 8:55 am (4 months ago)

Yikes!! Not cool.

• Susan
      03.20.14 at 10:13 am (4 months ago)

Hi! That part, at least, isn’t true at all. I was recently deployed, and Starbucks was everywhere with free coffee at the USO, gift cards, whathaveyou – even the desserts at the dining hall were provided courtesy of Starbucks. (I mean, the desserts weren’t healthy, but that’s a whole ‘nother story).

I hope that doesn’t sound rude or argumentative – but they were quite good in that sense.

• Susan
      03.20.14 at 10:23 am (4 months ago)

Arghhh! I’m so rude – just got right into commenting and didn’t even type in hi, I’m new, and am so glad I found your site – I live on the dreary East Coast now, and your posts remind me of sunny Southern California! Love it!

3. Emma @ Life's A Runner
    03.20.14 at 5:55 am (4 months ago)

When I started working at a local cafe, I gave up Starbucks as well, but only because it began to taste so disgusting! I had NO idea about all the pesticides and nail polish remover. It’s sick how many other people don’t too! Thanks for the info. :)
    Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted..Thinking Out Loud. [+ Thriving?]My Profile

4. Cheri @ Overactive Blogger
    03.20.14 at 6:36 am (4 months ago)

I literally never thought about my coffee being a source of nasty stuff, but you’re right! And now I actually have a good reason to ease up off of my budget and let Starbucks go! This is some good info!
    Cheri @ Overactive Blogger recently posted..Today was the worst day at work.My Profile

5. Jennifer
    03.20.14 at 7:05 am (4 months ago)

What if I love my coffee hot? Never been into Iced? Literally sipping on a Venti Americano w/Coconut milk (added at home!!) right now and really interested in switching to something like this if its pesticide free but don’t like cold coffee! I’d love to see a post on dairy alternatives!! Im 90% paleo (minus coffee, occasional alc and chickpeas and quinoa – those technically aren’t paleo but come on…) Coconut milk? Almond milk? Not into nasty soy though….

xx

PS asked the boyf for your book for my bday! ;)

03.20.14 at 8:53 am (4 months ago)

I like real coconut or almond milk for dairy sub and you can heat this on the stove :-) xo.

03.20.14 at 8:53 am (4 months ago)

PS. happy birthday & I hope you like the book!

6. Anna
    03.20.14 at 9:07 am (4 months ago)

Good on you for bringing up this topic – coffee definitely isn’t talked about enough, and it’s a product that so many of us consume. In fact, coffee is the second most valuable global commodity, after oil, so it’s super important for those of us that love it to think about where it comes from and what we’re drinking. Seek out roasters that ethically source their coffee – good for both the environment and the people producing it. Plus, buying locally roasted coffee supports independent, local business and not the big guys. Cold brew is also super easy to make at home… so good!
    Anna recently posted..Lemony Parsley and Mint PestoMy Profile

7. 204 Park
    03.20.14 at 11:04 am (4 months ago)

Eeek! We had no idea. Oops.
    The cold brew looks interesting – gotta see if it’s available in Canada! Fingers crossed.
    XO!

8. Kristin
    03.20.14 at 12:56 pm (4 months ago)

Ugh… This makes me so sad! I love Starbucks & JUST finished a Starbucks iced coffee! Guess I should make that my last… They’re just so convenient! Thanks for pulling me out of my blissful state of ignorance & making me face the facts. Time to find a better alternative on the East Coast!

9. Amanda
    03.20.14 at 2:31 pm (4 months ago)

Ew, Frappuccino’s!! Those are just sick. I love Food Babe and am so happy she unveiled all that grossness. Looks like I will be going the same route as you from now on! I’ve always preferred iced coffee anyway :)
    Amanda recently posted..How to Sleep like a babyMy Profile

10. Tris
    03.20.14 at 2:39 pm (4 months ago)

Love this post, I just wish they sold this in FL! You Californians get all the best brands! I’m not the biggest coffee fan, more of a black tea girl, but this sounds amazing.

11. Danielle
    03.20.14 at 3:32 pm (4 months ago)

Wow….can’t wait to try this…..I am a coffee lover (hot and cold), and am very excited to hear about this new coffee product……..looks like a lot of places carry it here in the OC, so will have to swing by and pick some up!! Thanks Lauryn, for always finding and sharing these great products !!!

12. Jenni
    03.20.14 at 3:36 pm (4 months ago)

I refuse to drink conventional coffee for precisely this reason! You should also try Groundworks cold brew coffee if you can get your hands on it. Organic, fair trade, SO delicious.
    Jenni recently posted..Weekend Words No. 3My Profile

13. Eliza
    03.20.14 at 6:09 pm (4 months ago)

Omg, I had no idea! This is saddening indeed but good to know there is an awesome alternative backed by the always trusty Skinny Confidential. Btw, Lauryn, or any faithful readers, I just started my own blog which is also a fun, funky healthy lifestyle blog focused on inspiring and empowering others to make positive changes & choices in their lives to dictate & create their own happiness. I’d love to get some feedback so if you’re interested, please head over & say hello!

Thanks beebs!

14. Rachel
    03.20.14 at 8:13 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Lauryn for this info! I had no idea and this product looks amazing! I just placed my order, can’t wait for it to arrive!
    Rachel recently posted..Shopbop Sale PicksMy Profile

15. GiGi Eats Celebrities
    03.20.14 at 8:29 pm (4 months ago)

Flipping LOVE Food Babe. Flipping HATE S-Buck’s coffee. I always got black iced coffee – Venti and I would sweeten it with stevia. But their coffee is just burnt. Tastes like cigs (or what I would imagine they taste like)…. Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf – oh heck yes, far better. But you know what’s the best? Brewing your OWN coffee at HOME! – I’m all about the Organic :)
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Asparagus: Aroused By SpringMy Profile

16. Brittany
    03.20.14 at 8:29 pm (4 months ago)

Ah shit, I totally knew all this, but I work at Starbucks and am a whore for the quick grab of already brewed coffee. I don’t do fraps, or any of that sugary crap, but I am a drip coffee LOVER. I guess it’s time to make myself a pour over of the organic coffee WE DO have. Thanks for the slap in the face, I needed it! ;)
    Brittany recently posted..Blueberry Coffee Cake MuffinsMy Profile

17. Ruthie
    03.20.14 at 11:00 pm (4 months ago)

Quick question. Where is that amazing glass from?!? Dying. Need now. Thanks!

03.21.14 at 8:53 am (4 months ago)

Home Goods!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Why I’m a Cold Brew Coffee-Whore

1. Friday Fun says:

[...] Quite intrigued {and honestly, a little scared} by this blog post on cold brewed coffee. Maybe I should [...]

2. [...] 1/2 cup coffee ( this is my favorite brand [...]