Ciao Egg Whites! Why I’m Totally For Team Yolk

Lauryn Evarts talks fitness, health, and diet.Let’s talk about egg yolk.

If eggs were a boy, I’d have a serious crush.

I’m so over hearing girls pointing their long acrylic finger at the menu & oh-so-casually saying “I’ll have the egg burrito but with egg whites only.” And then they smile at themselves like they’ve done such a great job with their diet.

Yawn, yawn, yawn. What a bore.

Like, egg yolks aren’t some evil bitch.

They’re actually super good for you.

Personally I’m obsessed with eggs. And I’m ESP obsessed with their sexy, yellow yolks.

Why?

Glad you asked:

+ Eggs contain protein and fat. They’re a serious amaze source of protein ( 7 grams per egg ). All the protein is in the egg white. The fat is the egg yolk. BUT this is GOOD fat. Remember this Skinny Conf post on nuts? This isn’t 1991 where fat-free is cool. Chemicals are out, good fats are in.

+ The yolk has many vitals nutrients that you NEED.

+ Cal!! There’s only 70 cals a yolk. Eggs are super, super filling. Protein and fat take a long time to digest, help moderate sugar absorption, & keep blood sugar levels at a healthy level.

+ Vitamins!!! Like LIVESTRONG says “each egg yolk contains seven vitamins: B6, folate, a B vitamin, B-12, A, D, E and K. Of those, vitamins A, D, E and K are found only in egg yolks and not in egg whites. In fact, egg yolks are one of only a handful of foods in which vitamin D is naturally found.”

+ And lastly minerals: each egg has thriteen varieties of minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, sodium, & selenium ( <<< remember this? ).

As LIVESTRONG says, “eggs are low in carbohydrates and a good source of protein. One large pasture-raised egg contains 6 g of protein and 1 g of carbohydrate. The protein in the egg is a high-quality source of protein, providing your body with all of the essential amino acids it needs to build the proteins found in your body. Although the egg is low in sodium, it does contain a small amount. One large egg contains 65 mg of sodium, meeting less than 3 percent of your daily value. Limiting your daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 mg a day may reduce your risk of developing high blood pressure. Based on the nutrition information from the Daily Burn website, one large pasture-raised egg meets 6 percent of your daily value for vitamin A, 2 percent of your daily value for calcium and 4 percent of your daily value for iron. However, according to Mother Earth News, pasture-raised eggs are a better source of vitamin A, with a large 50 g egg meeting 8 percent of your daily value. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient needed for immune health, eye sight and normal growth and development. Nutrition information for calcium and iron in the Mother Earth News study not provided.”

And if you’re all worried about cholestrol in eggs, don’t be…just click here.

My favorite ways to prep eggs: I’m a total poached egg-whore. I eat um’ with avo, Himalayan salt, a lil pepper, & chili flakes. & of course they’re amazing scrambled, sunny side up ( YUMMMM ), &/or in these pancakes.

I used to like them with nasty-ass ketchup but I cut that habit after watching this ( SICK! ). Instead I opt for fresh Pico de Gallo or a little touch of Sriracha.

How do you like your eggs? Any die-hard egg whites lovers??

X L

{{ P.S. if you’re buying eggs, PLEASE, please, please buy PASTURE-raised ones…more on this later…but TRUST me. Read more here }}.

source || source

Newer comments

44 comments on Ciao Egg Whites! Why I’m Totally For Team Yolk

1. Lisa @ The Skinny on Health
    02.12.14 at 9:57 pm (5 months ago)

I’m totally on board with yolk! BUT — nutritionist advice: do not have more than one egg yolk per day, esp if you have any risk of high cholesterol of CVD (heart attacks/disease/highbloodpressure) in your fam!!!

Egg yolks, though packed with nutrients and vitamins, are super high in cholesterol (200 mg). We are supposed to have less than 300 mg of cholesterol in a day, so having two egg yolks already racks up over 60% of daily cholesterol! Cholesterol is in anything that comes from an animal (milk, cheese, meat…), so you can bet you’re going to have more cholesterol throughout the day.

To get around this while still getting the nutrients in egg yolk, I do half and half. I make two eggs, using one of the yolks and one just whites!

xoxo
    Lisa @ The Skinny on Health recently posted..Valentine’s Day Recipe InspoMy Profile

2. L
    02.13.14 at 12:16 am (5 months ago)

2 eggs 1 egg white – add lots of cayenne pepper and a little black pepper – scrambled with mushrooms, red onion, rotel tomatoes with green chiles, black beans, red and green peppers – served with trader joes no guilt guacamole/Greek yogurt blend. Wake up craving this every single morning and it keeps me full for hours!

3. Lucy
    02.13.14 at 2:32 am (5 months ago)

I’m a vegetarian but I have high cholesterol even though I exercise most days and am a healthy weight :( I mean seriously, what’s happening here? I don’t eat THAT much chocolate! I’d love to be able to eat eggs all the time as I love them, especially poached with smoked salmon, hollandaise sauce and muffins but I have to say ciao to both parts more often now sob sob. I’m doomed to eat lentils for the rest of my life.. :p
    Lucy recently posted..When in Catania..My Profile

4. Chelsea @ Delipsch
    02.13.14 at 3:47 am (5 months ago)

Hi, I totally agree and love the love you are giving to egg yolks! I definitely went through a spell of egg whites only because of the bad rap yolks got. Fear no more, love the yolk! Thank you for posting-can’t wait to check the rest of the blog out too! I just started up my own blog and a newbie to the wonderful world of blogging….anywho thanks for the great post!
    Chelsea @ Delipsch recently posted..Dog Lovers Rejoice.My Profile

5. Tory
    02.13.14 at 4:00 am (5 months ago)

Thaaaaank you! I’m a dietitian and it breaks my heart when I hear/see people eating only whites. It’s like “hellooo you’re missing out on the tastiest/most nutritious part of the egg!”
    Tory recently posted..Winter Book ReviewsMy Profile

6. Amanda Elizabeth
    02.13.14 at 4:22 am (5 months ago)

Ugh I was completely unaware of ketchups past…..never again. I am interested to know sirachas history and bottling process because I literally use it on everything.
    Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Things I Miss From My 90′s ChildhoodMy Profile

7. Amanda Elizabeth
    02.13.14 at 4:22 am (5 months ago)

8. Mar
    02.13.14 at 4:44 am (5 months ago)

I am way too obsessed with this blog.. I check many times a day for new updates!!!

9. Nass
    02.13.14 at 4:49 am (5 months ago)

Thanks for this informative post! A lot of people always have this misconception about eggs. I love my sunny side up and poached eggs too!!! :)

10. Nass
    02.13.14 at 4:49 am (5 months ago)

11. Emma @ Life's A Runner
    02.13.14 at 5:38 am (5 months ago)

Thank you for this! I eat a ton of eggs, and enjoy them! It makes me sad when I see people eating only egg whites – not only are they super unsatisfying (for me), but they really do lack so many of the yolk’s nutrients!
    Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted..On Thursdays We Think Out Loud.My Profile

12. Daniela
    02.13.14 at 5:49 am (5 months ago)

I stumbled across your blog site a couple months ago and religiously check in now weekly.

I LOVE, LOVE, SUPER LOVE your posts. You turned me on to so many awesome things: (SUJA for one, ok…so addicted now) and in my daily quest to be more and more healthy I love reading your blogs on food and exercise!

And eggs, umm, love them!! And I have never really been into the “only egg white please” craze. For me, it really wasn’t about thinking they were bad for me, it was more that I hated wasting such a large portion of a whole food! :)

I love mine so many ways, but hard boiled is the fastest and such a great way to get a great breakfast. I hard boil a week’s worth, pop one in my lunch cooler along with my green smoothie and I’m set for the day!

Love your posts girl!

xoxo
    Daniela

13. Alissa @ Eat Clean Beauty Queen
    02.13.14 at 6:04 am (5 months ago)

I’m on board with Courtney. I’m all for the yolk and eat one to two every day but I also add in egg whites just to beef up my breakfast a little bit more!

14. Lauren
    02.13.14 at 6:09 am (5 months ago)

I love all of your posts but I think this is my fave one yet. I am a huge lover of eggs & I hateeeee it when people go on about how the yolk is bad for you!! Literally all of the nutrients are in the yolk. And egg whites have no taste at all! No thanks, gimme the whole, yummy, drippy, runny egg+yolk any day please.

15. Becca
    02.13.14 at 6:33 am (5 months ago)

Hey Lauryn! So I will say this again, i love your blog. Its ahhh-mazin.
    Anywho, I cannot eat eggs even though I love them (or chicken for that matter) I believe I have some sort of food intolerance to them, I get so sick whenever I eat them, my stomach and back starts to hurt and I am forced to live on the floor in forever yoga poses moaning and groaning until the pain subsides. Sooooooo that brings me to the question, any suggestions for egg substitutes? Oh how I miss my hardboiled eggs for breakfast! AHHHH its so frustrating! Chicken I can live without but eggs are in EVERYTHING! So any ideas at all? Its perfect that you posted something about eggs because Ive been meaning to ask about them for a while.
    Thanks Lauryn!

• Kari
      02.13.14 at 12:48 pm (5 months ago)

Hey Becca,
      This happens to me too! I’ve actually found that it’s the egg yolk that causes the pain. Boo to not being able to tolerate the wonderful health benefits yolks provide (insert sad emoji)
      I switched to just egg whites (egg beaters) and I’m able to eat them pain free.

Hope this helps!

Kari
      Blondeinthewindycity.blogspot.com

16. Becca
    02.13.14 at 6:33 am (5 months ago)

Hey Lauryn! So I will say this again, i love your blog. Its ahhh-mazin.
    Thanks Lauryn!