Welp, This Should Be Interesting…Let’s Talk About BPA

Lauryn Evarts and Jordan Bosstick talk about the debate on BPA.

Hiii.

Today I’m teaming up with the website, Volkalize which was founded by my girlfriend, Jordan. Volkalize is a political, social networking site that integrates politics with pop culture. It’s a super rad site that welcomes opinions from anyone, anywhere.

Today’s topic?

BPA.

But before I go off on a rant, just remember: I’m not a full-on BPA expert/scientist/doctor.

I’ve simply read up on it— & naturally ( shocker ), I have a strong opinion.

Conclusion:

BPA free > BPA.

I just don’t understand why anyone would willingly drink water from a water bottle containing BPA when there’s a BPA free option.

But wait, wait. Let’s back up.

For anyone that’s wondering WTF BPA is:

The FDA ( The Food & Drug Administration ) kinda doesn’t want to know about BPA ( short for Bisphenol A )…This source states that “even though the FDA’s troubled by the lack of better information about the safety of BPA, it recently denied a petition from the National Resources Defense Council to ban it ( see FDA Law Blog for details ). Although FDA is not persuaded by the data and information in your petition to initiate rule-making to revoke the food additive approvals for BPA, FDA will continue in its broader and more comprehensive review of emerging data and information on BPA.”

So it’s kind of like this: ‘hey! I’m the FDA and I’m so freaking worried about BPA. I won’t let my kids have it & I’m not touching it with an eighty foot pole BUT I’m not going out of my way to warn other’s about its effects without more evidence. Sorry, I’m not sorry!’

Ignorance is bliss, ehh?

Not so much.

BPA is used to make hard plastics for water bottles ( & FYI to all the mamas out there: baby bottles too ). Oh, & it’s in many cans, register receipts, dental sealants, toilet paper ( SICK! ) &/or paper money. It’s also used for food supply.

A lot.

Like, a lot, a lot.

BPA debate

BPA was first approved by the oh-so-ever-lovely FDA in 1960′s.

BUUUUTTTT in 2010 the ‘see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil’ FDA issued an update with a report stating that BPA is safe at current levels…and then the FDA went on to suggest reducing exposure is recommended.

Hmmmm.

Let’s all go bury our head’s in the sand with the FDA. Might be fun.

Here’s another fun fact…this is how the FDA answers questions to parents:

Question: Should I throw away baby bottles that contain BPA?

FDA: Parents should examine bottles and discard them if worn or scratched because scratches can both harbor germs and, in BPA-containing bottles, lead to greater release of BPA. For those who want to use baby bottles and feeding cups not made with BPA, consumers should know that such products are now widely available in the U.S. market.

Let’s take the BPA debate a bit further: the US Centers for Disease Control has reported that ninety percent ( yes, you heard correctly- ninety percent ) of Americans have “detectable levels of BPA in their urine.”

Yuck x 10.

The facts: “Approximately six pounds of BPA are produced for every American per year. Bisphenol A is a hormone-disrupting chemical, which means that it can mimic or block hormones and disrupt the body’s normal functions. Numerous studies suggest it can have health effects at extremely low exposure levels. BPA is especially of concern for vulnerable populations: pregnant women, babies and children.”

FML.

Ok soooo…BPA bans are in place in twelve states & several countries.

States with the ban: California ( << thank God! ), Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, Washington, & Wisconsin.

& then there’s Europe. The European Union banned the manufacture of sale of baby bottles with BPA.

Always one step ahead of us, USA!

Some of the health concerns the FDA doesn’t want to address : delayed brain development, hyperactivity, reproductive development, decreased testosterone/sperm production, reproduction & conception, miscarriage & Down’s syndrome, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, & cancer, behavioral impacts in kids.

Personally, I drink Essential Water. I like the taste. I like how the water contains 9.5 pH, and it’s BPA-free. I also like People Water. And my absolute BPA-free glass bottle can be found here ( more options below ).

If you get anything out of this post, just remember this: please, please do NOT leave a water bottle & any kind of plastic in your car when it’s hot outside; the heat makes the nasty-ass chemicals leak into the water, beverage, &/or food.

So.

I’ll end with this quote:

The big question is how BPA got so widespread in the products we use everyday as food containers and especially in baby bottles … We can and must do better when it comes to foreseeing trouble related to the chemicals we put into our environment. Right now we have too much of a buy now and pay later approach to chemical safety. Tens of thousands of chemicals are in use and hardly any of them have been studied with any rigor for their safety. Wouldn’t it make more sense to test for harms first rather than find out later?”

–Dr. Aaron Bernstein, Harvard Medical School Center for Health & the Global Environment

What’s your opinion on BPA? Please, please share!

x L

** {{ Check out The Skinny Confidential’s BPA debate on Volkaize here. }}

Lauryn Evarts and Jordan Bosstick talk about the debate on BPA.

Newer comments

26 comments on Welp, This Should Be Interesting…Let’s Talk About BPA

1. Alison
    01.09.14 at 12:11 pm (10 months ago)

Drink People water!
    Bpa free!!!

01.09.14 at 12:22 pm (10 months ago)

I just added People Water to the post! I LOVE People Water too : ). xx.

2. Emily
    01.09.14 at 12:30 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you for this. I drink about a gallon of water a day from my Nalgene bottle. For years it was a Nalgene with BPA. A few years ago, I ditched the BPA Nalgene and replaced it with a BPA free one.

01.09.14 at 12:34 pm (10 months ago)

Love this Emily! So happy you made the switch. Thank you for sharing babe <3.

3. Zee
    01.09.14 at 12:39 pm (10 months ago)

Yuck! thanks for sharing! I just bought a glass bottle with rubber around it from target. I love it! Next you should uncover whats better for you, whole milk or low fat. I’ve been getting mixed reviews!

4. Alexandra Steinmetz
    01.09.14 at 12:41 pm (10 months ago)

I’ve tried for years to live a more BPA free life, so I’m glad to see that such a well respected blogger is approaching such an important issue. Kudos to you!
    Alexandra Steinmetz recently posted..Raspberry Vanilla MocktailMy Profile

5. Jordan
    01.09.14 at 1:37 pm (10 months ago)

Ugh FINALLY someone is talking about this! I have switched from icky BPA filled disposable water bottles to re-using my kombucha bottles. Water can be FREE and the bottle can be affordable…I paid $2.99 for mine!

Thanks love
    XOXO
    J.

6. Jasmine Flowers
    01.09.14 at 1:38 pm (10 months ago)

Yuck I have been avoiding BPA like the plague since high school. I love my reusable Aladdin water bottle because it literally keeps my water cold for like 8 hours, but the glass heart bottle you use is super cute so I am going to have to buy one of those as well. With so many BPA free options like pacific organic soups in paper cartons, paper goods from responsible companies, super cute reusable water bottles and lunch tupperware I feel like at least its a step in the right direction, I just wish more people were informed and the government would take proper measures not to destroy public health… but that’s a diff convo. When I lived The Netherlands Organic food was cheaper and processed nasty crap was subject to a Euro tax and was more expensive (talking 9 euros for M&Ms) I found it to be awesome and I find it frustrating that we cannot implement similar policies here.

7. Sheena
    01.09.14 at 1:41 pm (10 months ago)

Hi Lauryn :)

I ditched my Nalgene 5 years ago for a stainless steel Kleen Kanteen. I try to stay away from all plastic water bottles-BPA free or not. I just don’t trust plastic. I ADORE the look of glass water bottles but they are banned at the yoga studio that I go to. I have a Hydro Flask instead for yoga, spin, etc. It keeps your water cold for hours which I love. http://www.hydroflask.com/

Love your blog-I look forward to your posts every day!

xoxo

• Margo
      01.09.14 at 4:32 pm (10 months ago)

I second Hydro Flask!!! Keeps your drink cold or hot (depending on what you put in there for forever). Sometimes I still find ice in there that hasn’t melted the next day! Stainless steal and, obviously, BPA-free!

8. Nicole Marie Story
    01.09.14 at 3:21 pm (10 months ago)

Ha ha! Love it. Our government freaking sucks. I’ll pass this article to my gorgeous tree-hugging, foraging-for-lunch, life-loving friends! xo
    Nicole Marie Story recently posted..Fun On Le Mat! #1My Profile

9. Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    01.09.14 at 4:18 pm (10 months ago)

Very informative and well researched post Lauryn. Thank you for sharing! Question: how do you know if there is BPA in something? It wouldn’t be listed on a products ingredients obviously, so how can we tell if a water bottle or anything else is made with it?
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted..Lose Weight & Feel Great with a Smoothie CleanseMy Profile

10. Mackenzie
    01.09.14 at 7:49 pm (10 months ago)

Question, When you say that BPA is banned in California, does that mean there is no BPA in our plastics? ie grocery containers, etc? Everything BPA free specifies that it is indeed BPA free, correct? I guess I would just like you to expand on what exactly the ban ensures protection from…

11. Kaleigh Hughes
    01.09.14 at 9:32 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you for this awesome information. I use a BPA free Klean Kanteen water bottle. It is a metal water bottle but all of you girls are talking about glass bottles. I was wondering if it’s a smarter idea to switch to glass or is my metal BPA free bottle just fine? It was a fairly more expensive bottle from REI if I remember right. Thanks!

12. Healthy on Trend
    01.10.14 at 6:31 am (10 months ago)

I’m confused. I bought and use my trusty nalgene bottle because it specifically said it is BPA-free on the bottom. Are you guys saying I should be giving them a wide swerve despite the fact they say their bottles are BPA-Free? Thanks!
    Lauretta
    healthyontrend.com
    Healthy on Trend recently posted..Nine: Sugar detoxMy Profile

13. Alexa
    01.10.14 at 8:22 am (10 months ago)

I think the thing about BPA free is… don’t get me wrong, I choose BPA free (or glass when I can) every time, but just because BPA has been listed and recognized as an endocrine disruptor, there are definitely other chemicals that have NOT been listed or recognized as harmful that manufacturers can just use instead of BPA and still get that friendly label. This is just one reason I always use glass over plastic, when I can!

14. Aki
    01.10.14 at 10:52 am (10 months ago)

I’m super glad that Wisconsin already banned BPA in bottles, but the fact that it’s in food pisses me off greatly. How can you let people eat that when it affects the body in horrible ways. ugh! I make sure before I buy frozen foods (Which is not often) I make sure that there’s nothing with abbreviations in it. Geez.

15. Morgann
    01.10.14 at 3:07 pm (9 months ago)

Hey girl! Love your blog to the max!! What are some health friendly ways to keep your house/rooms smelling fresh and inviting. Soy candles are awesome but the scent doesn’t last very long.

xoxo,
    Morgann

16. ayesha
    01.11.14 at 7:06 am (9 months ago)

Great knowledge. Until today I hadn’t even heard of BPA let alone form an opinion for it. But thanks for this resource now I can be more careful!
    ayesha recently posted..99 varieties of dosaMy Profile

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Welp, This Should Be Interesting…Let’s Talk About BPA

1. [...] TSC’s post on the grossness of [...]

2. [...] drinking bottles; when heated (in a car, handbag or sitting on beach), plastic bottles release some pretty nasty chemicals that have been linked to cancer, amongst other things. The same goes for plastic containers in [...]