Mini DeLites

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.[ Snip, snip...loving these gold scissors ]
Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.[ Just because-flowers ]

Mini DeLites with a cooper pan[ A peak at my copper cooking set ]

Ok, so I have a question ( because lately you guys are like, the best ever at answering any/every question ).

But first a lil backstory: I’m typically not an early riser; I believe in A LOT of sleep…because, uhhh duh–?! It’s healing, energizing, & healthy.

BTW: a lot of ZZzzz’s doesn’t automatically make someone a lazy, unproductive slob.

I mean, I love to heal my body from the inside out & let it rest- & honestly? In my opinion, sleep is brain food.

Plus it feels damn good.

BUT. Lately I’ve been thinking about waking up an hour earlier ( yes, I think about this stuff; #anxiety ).

So. Normally I wake up between 8:45 am-9:30 am.

This has worked well for me. It may not work for you. But in my experience, it’s worked swimmingly. Also, keep in mind I go to bed between 12:30 am-1 am…I’m def most productive late at night.

Anyway as I’m getting older ( boo ), a 8:15 am-8:30 am wake up call sounds weirdly more appealing.

Ok, now for the question(s). To all the early risers out there: what are some tips on how to wake the F up? Give me the nitty gritty ( not some alarm-setting-wash-my-face-with-freezing-cold-water-tip ).

K?

Oh! &, ya I know what they say…”the early bird gets the worm.”

…But hey, the second mouse gets the cheese ( AKA the sleep ; ) ).

xx.Lauryn

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.[ A recommendation from my GF, Carly...a new addiction! ]

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.[ YouTube business cards ]
Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger and health blogger talks diet and fitness.[ Ready for pumpkin-everything, spooky decorations, & these knee high boots ]

Newer comments

47 comments on Mini DeLites

1. Andrea
    09.16.13 at 10:07 pm (10 months ago)

Early morning FASTED cardio (aka. Running) gets me up in the am! Start burning that stubborn body fat early! Some love the idea.. Some hate it.

2. Natalie
    09.17.13 at 12:08 am (10 months ago)

What I tend to do with those first 30 minutes is always very “easy” but productive. I read “The Skimm” and check in on my favorite blogs. Also, my coffee pot has an alarm, so it will start brewing at 7:45 if I put the grounds in the night before. That’s always a perk to get up!
    Natalie recently posted..One WeekMy Profile

3. Jessica
    09.17.13 at 12:10 am (10 months ago)

I usually try to do things that make me look forward to the morning (yoga, green smoothie, breakfast). I also try to sleep somewhere between 10 PM to 12 AM.

4. Carla
    09.17.13 at 12:17 am (10 months ago)

Never change a running system, I’d say to you! Although I would try to get some pre-midnight sleep in once in a while as it’s simply the best quality of sleep MOST people can get. May be you don’t need it at all.

I’ve stopped drinking coffee first thing in the morning years ago, It just knocks me down again. Start with tea, then water and around midday go for a coffee.

5. Hilary
    09.17.13 at 12:51 am (10 months ago)

I wake up early. Like 7-7:30 all the time. Personally I love being an early riser. I can relax and have coffee, study for an hour, blog, read blogs & the news, check instagram/fb/pinny and feel super calm about it (I’m an anxious person who always feels I could be doing something more useful) because the rest of the world is still snoozing! A couple hours later, I’m halfway through a workout and feeling really productive! … I don’t have any tips that don’t involve going to bed an hour earlier or setting an alarm though! I’m way more productive in the morning, but if you are at night, then why switch?!
    Hilary recently posted..Weekend Link Love – South of France EditionMy Profile

6. Jess
    09.17.13 at 2:07 am (10 months ago)

I’m up at 6am every morning, Sunday included! I started getting up then to help my partner get off to work, and I get most things done before 9am so I’m set up for a productive day. I find sleeping with the blinds OPEN to be really helpful, as the morning sun wakes me gently. I hop up as soon as my alarm rings (I don’t snooze, ever) and I quickly skip out to open the house up and walk outside to greet the animals. The blast of cool, fresh morning air reminds me of how great my decision to get up early was.

• Marie
      09.22.13 at 1:49 pm (10 months ago)

I agree with Jess. Sleeping with the blinds open or cracked to let natural light in is helpful. I wake up at 4:30 am everyday including the weekends without an alarm because my dogs wake up at that time! The best thing that has worked for me is to get out of bed immediately when you wake up, whether you’re using an alarm or not, because if you stay in bed after waking its just going to make you groggy and want to snooze. And yes, taking the dogs outside for a walk and having a blast of cool ocean air on your face is an instant wake-up, better than coffee (:

7. Samanth
    09.17.13 at 3:45 am (10 months ago)

If you’re the kind of person who wakes up and then rolls back over if it’s not time to get up yet, don’t. Your body goes through sleep cycles, and if you wake up naturally, that means that you’re at the end of a cycle. If you force yourself awake in the middle of a cycle, your body will, for hours, think that it should be asleep and you will feel exhausted. Even though you’re technically getting more sleep, you will be more tired than if you woke up an hour earlier at the natural end of a sleep cycle.

8. Simi @ The Micro Harvest
    09.17.13 at 4:29 am (10 months ago)

I am a morning person & waking up around 7 w/o an alarm comes naturally to me. But, I set my alarm for between 5:30 and 6 am (earlier then natural). My biggest tip to get my butt up a bit earlier is to have something planned that I look forward to! Whether it is a deep breathing practice, prayer/devo time, journaling, a cup of coffee and the news, or checking Facebook — let yourself do something you really enjoy, right when you wake up, for 15 minutes! It will get you up and going. Then you can do productive things (work out, work, etc) after you have that time for yourself :)

9. Laura
    09.17.13 at 4:37 am (10 months ago)

A nice shower the moment you get up is a good way to tell your body that you’re starting the day, it’s pleasant, a physical fresh start, and just makes me feel alert.

10. Tory
    09.17.13 at 4:55 am (10 months ago)

I wake up at 5 everyday, but I also take a cat nap during the day. Knowing that I’ll get to sleep again in a few short hours makes it so much easier to get up.

11. Sarah
    09.17.13 at 5:15 am (10 months ago)

I listen to music and stretch! I do a full stretch routine with some soft music gradually turning to more energized songs, and then I drink a big glass of water before breakfast. It works!

• Jessica
      09.17.13 at 8:46 am (10 months ago)

^ I second this. My alarm clock plays good music, nothing super harsh. Then I do about 15-30minutes of gentle yoga and drink a cup of warm water with lemon.

12. Michelle
    09.17.13 at 5:32 am (10 months ago)

6am spin gets me going – it’s like a first cup of coffee kicking my butt into gear for the day.

13. Harkness
    09.17.13 at 5:33 am (10 months ago)

Hi Lauryn,
    It’s easier for me to go to bed earlier and rise earlier once we set the clocks back because it is dark earlier in the evening. Maybe earlier to bed, earlier to rise will work for you! We set clocks back on Nov 2. Take care!

14. Kat
    09.17.13 at 5:35 am (10 months ago)

No advice here. I get up because the children make me. Been trying to beat them at it for years just to have some peace and quiet, and a moment to write. Hasn’t happened yet. Still trying. Like you said, sleep is GOOD! Good luck!
    Kat recently posted..Queenie’s mama doesn’t speak FrenchMy Profile

15. Dana
    09.17.13 at 5:38 am (10 months ago)

I’m most definitely an early riser – up at 4:45am every day, gym at 5:15, work before 8. But it really is part nature and part nurture. I am instinctively an early riser (without an alarm during the week I’d be up by about 5:30; on the weekends I can barely sleep past 7) and by 9:30-10 I’m absolutely ready for bed. That’s the nature part. As far as the nurture – yes, your body will start to acclimate to changes, and things will become habit, but you can’t fully change your body clock. Getting up an hour earlier but going to bed a half hour earlier should work well for you. If this pattern works well for you, getting up 2 or more hours earlier probably wouldn’t be key.

It seems like you’re doing everything else right – routine is key. It’s not about getting into bed early; it’s about trying to get into bed and wake up at the same time every day (and not sleep til noon on weekends).

I don’t ever let myself hit the snooze. I know I really am fine by the time I reach the bathroom. Then I open all the windows to let some cool air in, remind myself how great I’m going to feel on my walk back from the gym, and reward myself when I get back with an awesome protein shake/omelet etc.

16. Lauren @ Everyday Lauren
    09.17.13 at 6:10 am (10 months ago)

I used to be the same way, go to bed late, wake up late.
    The best advice I could give is to tire yourself out earlier so that you can get to bed earlier, and in turn, wake up earlier.
    It won’t be easy, and your body doesn’t do anything without training, so think of it as exercise. You need to train for it. Going to bed early and waking up early is a skill.
    I go to bed at 9:30pm and wake up at 5:00am now….took some time, but I have never felt better!

XO Lauren

17. Karen
    09.17.13 at 6:13 am (10 months ago)

I am total definition of an “Early Bird” On weekdays my alarm goes off at 4:20am. Say wha? But its totally worth it. Taking magnesium in the evening totally helps relax your bod & helps you sleep so much deeper. Once my alarm goes off in the morn, I’m rushing out of bed to turn it off..hence..I keep my cell in the bathroom so there’s no “snoozing” going on. You can buy water soluble magnesium, its best when taken in the evenings!!
    Karen recently posted..Let there be No RegretsMy Profile

18. Bailey
    09.17.13 at 6:16 am (10 months ago)

Hey love!

Knowing I have something to do, even if its just grab a coffee and read a fashion mag gives me a bit of motivation to get my booty up. I have to plan everything (I’m OCD like that)… It helps me start my day off without feeling anxiety!

Also…… I love a good cup of lavender tea when I’m working at night (usually what I drink when I send you those late emails haha). Helps me make sure I’m relaxed when I shut my eyes and not going over a zillion + one things in my head… Which makes getting up easier.

It takes a few times, and there will always be those mornings you hit snooze (especially if the night before included on too many glasses of wine ;) ) but I’ve just switched from waking up at 8am to 530am… :| good luck love.

xx. B

19. BerryBloomXO
    09.17.13 at 6:24 am (10 months ago)

1. The business cards look great!
    2. I wish we had Bath and Body Works in the UK, the candles seem soooooo nice – if I was to order one online, which would you recommend?
    3. EARLY BIRD is my name. Okay, not really, but to wake up early, I suggest an early bedtime (of course!), get in bed one hour earlier than “bedtime” and try and set the mood with dim lights and a book – that’s just me… – in the morning, set alarm 10-15 minutes before you want to get out of bed, this way you still feel like you have 10-15 minutes of “sleep”/rest. I don’t go back to sleep and spend that time flicking through my mail, twitter, facebook etc. that way my mind “eases” into waking up. Then DON’T, I repeat DO NOT go back to sleep, open curtains, go to the bathroom and start your day!

Hope thats helpful! xoxo,

BerryBloomXO recently posted..BerryHealthy: Vita Coco – Quench your thirst!My Profile

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Mini DeLites