FML…A Lil Post on my Frenemy: Running…UGH.

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.If running were a guy, he’d be annoying, a total buzzkill, & BORING.

Annoying because…it’s such a nag.

A total buzzkill because…I dread it.

& BORING because…geez it’s about as interesting as watching a flea on a horse’s ass.

Ya don’t agree with me?

Lucky you.

I mean, I’m jelly.

Honestly though, I want to love to run. I really, really geniuely want to like it…but I just don’t.

So when my trainer, Mike, informed me it will trim up the bod faster than any other exercise, I was freaking frustruated.

(( Insert that crying Emoji that throws its head back & wails/crys/whines )).

Anyway for the last month & half I’ve been running three times a week for thirty minutes on the Treadmill. Oh, & not only have I been just running, I’ve been doing intervals. Mike also let me know that it’s better to walk at 3.6 for a minute, & then switch to 6.5-7.0 for a minute ( I like to start at 6.5 for a few & then build up to 7.0 towards the end ). I also add a bit ( only a tiny bit ) of incline throughout the duration of the run. The reason it’s better to walk then run, then walk then run, etc. is because it’s amazing for metabolism & heart rate.

Mike even said intervals are better than just running the whole thirty minutes.

So essentially I’m only running for 15 minutes total, each time.

I know, right?! Such a baby.

Guys. The results are crazy: I’ve lost five pounds, I’m feeling tighter, & I’m obsessed with the after effects ( the runner’s high! ).

Even though I literally dread the Treadmill & have anxiety on my ‘running days,’ it’s totally worth it.

And ya know, sometimes life isn’t always fun.¬†Beauty’s pain.

So I’m sticking it out. And I’ll keep ya updated.

Oh, & don’t laugh…k? The reason I don’t run outside is because of the sun. I’m a psycho when it comes to the sun ( more here ).

ATTN runners: any tips? Pleassseeeeee & thank you!!

x.Lauryn

{ Pink running shoes found here }

Newer comments

54 comments on FML…A Lil Post on my Frenemy: Running…UGH.

1. Jane
    08.22.13 at 4:53 pm (11 months ago)

I’d try running outside. Change up the scenery and explore new places. Try investing in a running GPS watch. I think it’s really fun to watch an outline of where I ran, seeing my stats is motivating. I see my running time as almost a form of meditation. It’s my time alone, to think, to de- stress. And the running “high” indeed feels excellent!!

• Amanda
      08.22.13 at 6:58 pm (11 months ago)

I totally agree with Jane, running outside is legit and way more enjoyable. Also, a little bit of sun is actually good for you and that’s what spf is for.

• Julie
      08.23.13 at 9:17 am (11 months ago)

I agree 150%! Running outside is so much better – plus you feel the connection to other runners, can catch up with friends and find new places in the city/countryside to visit.
      Julie recently posted..A Better, Healthier Arnold Palmer: Friday QuickieMy Profile

2. Gabrielle
    08.22.13 at 4:56 pm (11 months ago)

I used to loath running with a passion, but once you start, you see results so fast, nothing makes your fitness levels go up so noticeably. Craving going for a run and then really going for it is the best feeling ever…. HELLO ENDORPHINS!!!
    But running on a treadmill is deathly dull, take it outside, run by the ocean or in a park, it is so much better for you!

3. Luba
    08.22.13 at 4:58 pm (11 months ago)

I used to hate running too and now I am training for my 2nd full marathon, with the 3rd and 4th already planned for next year.

In my experience, what changed it all was the challenge of it.

Do races and keep giving yourself goals, do what you didn’t think you could do in the past and always bring a friend.

Also, running outside is completely different. Much less boring and so much more fun!

4. Sam
    08.22.13 at 5:02 pm (11 months ago)

5lbs WOAH!!!!! I used to go out everyday for about 30 min. I also thought signing up for a half marathon would motivate and trim me. No I’m just hungry all the time and freaked out!!!

5. Becky Hillyard
    08.22.13 at 5:02 pm (11 months ago)

I know I hate running too! I just started picking it up more and I will tell you…running outdoors is way better!! And when I do intervals outside, I set a landmark as my end point, like a mail box, so then I can see the sprint is going to come to an end. Treadmills just suck. And obviously, good new tunes is always a big motivator.

Glad to hear I am not the only one in the boat that despises cardio. The one cardio I do love and can do for an hour is turbo kick. You should check it out.

xx,
    Becky

Cella Jane
    Becky Hillyard recently posted..Proteins, Fats and Carbs: What You Should Be Eating.My Profile

6. Sam
    08.22.13 at 5:03 pm (11 months ago)

oh also are you doing strength or any other workouts too?!

08.22.13 at 5:29 pm (11 months ago)

Yes! Lots of strength training and Pilates! Also yoga and light stretching :-). X.

7. Hannah
    08.22.13 at 5:07 pm (11 months ago)

I’m completely the same way. I want to love it, but I just don’t. 3ish times a week I do HIIT and I neeeeever get runners high. What keeps me going is running in the back row of treadmills & staring at the hot bodies in front of me. It’s casual.

8. lyndsay
    08.22.13 at 5:08 pm (11 months ago)

Oh, I am with you, running is the worst AND the best. I agree with the person above – running out side is a game changer! I live in fear of the sun too, but I cake on my spf 50, wear a baseball cap and long sleeves and pants if I can handle it, which isn’t as often as I would like, since I live in Arizona! I feel like I get a much better workout running outside than I do on a treadmill. Your body always benefits from changing things up!

9. Andi
    08.22.13 at 5:19 pm (11 months ago)

I love to run!!!!! good music is key for me! Also training for a race of any distance is really inspiring and it feels good to have a schedule. I love Hal HIgdon’s website–he has three levels of runner training scheds and he makes it easy!!!!!!! I am looking for a used treadmill now so I can run in my garage before my kiddos get up in the morning!!! you can do it Lauryn!!

• Meg
      08.25.13 at 5:19 pm (11 months ago)

YES. Hal Higdon’s schedule kept me on track and kept me from cramping up or dying during my first race. It also isn’t so crazy constricting or boring.
      My tips:
      - Lots and lot of fun music, probably new music too. I have a 200 song playlist that I put on shuffle just for running. Sometimes I feel like I have my own little club with me, only I’m running instead of dancing (because I dance like a 2 year old).
      - Go outside and see if you can’t explore new areas or run in one of your favorite places- I actually run through the botanic gardens near me and it’s wonderful.
      - See if you can’t map your route to include water or bathroom stops if you’re doing longer runs.
      - Wear a hat and sunscreen.
      - Try to find a time of day that you feel best running- I like the morning, but my boyfriend prefers the evening.
      - If it’s hot out be sure to replenish with some potassium, sugars, and water (i.e. gatorade, coconut water, banana and water) to keep heat exhaustion at bay.
      - Get fitted for good running shoes- it makes all the difference in the world.
      - Don’t wear cotton.
      - Braid your hair for long runs.
      - Figure out if you have any abnormalities in your stride and how to fix them. I worked with someone who specialized in this and he gave me some good exercise to keep me from getting injured.
      - Turn off your brain and enjoy!

10. Katie Goodrick
    08.22.13 at 5:19 pm (11 months ago)

I have been running for years (ran competitively through high school and college)and to this day I dread running by myself. Having a bestie or bf to run with is much more fun, more motivating, and nice to talk to during the run :)

11. Rebecca ColorUsHealthy
    08.22.13 at 5:51 pm (11 months ago)

Ahh, running. Yup hate it too AND I am signed up for a full marathon!! I know I’m NUTS. I love how I feel after though – love the results and the high. I totally need to start thinking about some interval training! PS: Love the blog!

12. Brianna
    08.22.13 at 6:28 pm (11 months ago)

I know someone already said this, but you NEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD to run outside!!! Otherwise running IS a boring, painful, buzzkill!! Even if you need to drive somewhere, like a park, do it! Running outside changes the whole game! When I run outside, I don’t even realize how much time has passed and I enjoy the whole experience. However, when I run on a treadmill I watch every single second click by on the treadmill clock or on my cell phone. And the results are totes amaze-balls. Keep it up! :)

13. Rachel
    08.22.13 at 7:36 pm (11 months ago)

Try or run outside under trees if you can! (To block the sun) it is my therapy, it becomes meditative and you will get absolutely addicted. The time spent with nature is therapeutic. Treadmill = boooring! Who wants to stare at the clock while your pounding away! I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and have traded my runs in for walks by now. I was up to 10 or 11 miles when I got pregnant, and let me tell you, I cannot WAIT to get back out there! Trust me you will learn to crave it! Good luck!!!

14. Becky
    08.22.13 at 9:16 pm (11 months ago)

I hated running until I bought a heart rate monitor! Now its exciting, even on the treadmill! It’s also great for interval training, because you can wait until your heart rate gets down in the 120s, and then hike it back up into the “zone.” And it pretty accurately counts calories, which is nice. Totes recommend buying one!

15. Tara@PNWRunner
    08.22.13 at 10:00 pm (11 months ago)

I dread running on the treadmill, I’ll only do it if the weather outside is crappy or if I am doing Tabata workouts. I’d try running outside at some point. Go somewhere where the scenery is beautiful to look at or try trail running!
    Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Twenty Dang ThingsMy Profile

16. Neeno - Sew Me Love
    08.22.13 at 11:24 pm (11 months ago)

Babe, u have just motivated me to get to the gym tonight for a run on the treadmill. On a Friday!

17. tilds
    08.23.13 at 12:19 am (11 months ago)

I love running; I’ve done it my entire life and can’t really imagine not doing it. It’s so relaxing (well….afterwards) and I like to think that I get my best ideas when i run. I normally run outside, but I do intervals once a week on a treadmill. A thing that my track & field instructor taught me is to yoga-breathe when I rest between my intervals = more oxygen to the body and better recovery. Also, try to change up your intervals (f.e 30-60-90 s running, or walk in between vs. jog when “resting”). Good luck xx

18. Carla
    08.23.13 at 12:21 am (11 months ago)

It’s funny you should post this today of all days! After months of excuses I’ve started to run a bit again this week, because I kind of wanted to. I was sure it would suck but I actually made it to 40 minutes this morning. The one thing that motivates me at the moment is that I’ll have to study all day for my exams so that means sitting on my bum for the next 10 hours or so. So exercising is a must, and beeing out in the woods first thing in the morning just energizes me so much.

The only good thing I can tell you: The older you get, the better the running will get. Seriously. I’ve started the first time in my early twenties, now I’m in my thirties and it takes less to get more. Crazy, but that’s how it is.

19. Caroline
    08.23.13 at 12:29 am (11 months ago)

I love running! It just clears my head ;) I usually mix it up by running in slopes for a a shorter time some days and other days running a longer distance (at least an hour) :)
    Have you tried the zombie run app?

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on FML…A Lil Post on my Frenemy: Running…UGH.

1. Anxiety. says:

[...] pill popping ( like, thanks but no thanks! ). So sleep, Herbs, healthy eating, & exercise ( Running in particular has really helped ) have turned into my ‘pill’ of [...]

2. [...] That way it shocks body so it doesn’t plateau. I recently did this with incorporating running into my workout & it’s been a game [...]