Cut the BS: Educate Yourself on The Unhealthiest of ‘Health’ Foods

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Let’s get real for a sec & really examine foods that people think are ‘good’ for them.

Because, YOLO.

It’s not worth it to ruin this beautiful life with crappy foods.

Ok, here we go. Ahem!!

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Gawd.

This one bugs.

Like, seriously bugs.

Marketers made it seem like agave syrup/nectar is the cat’s meow.

Here’s the real deal: it’s mostly fructose ( meaning it’s processed & has NOTHING to do with the agave plant ).

This sickie syrup in large doses can cause liver disease, diabetes, & hypertension.

Opt for Stevia or raw sugs instead.

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Sick.

I mean, really.

Fake butter?

Margarine is known as a “heart attack in a tub, loaded with trans fats. Trans fats contribute to heart disease, cancer, & hormone imbalance.

Real freaking butter isn’t as bad as ya think. It’s actually loaded with vitamins, minerals, & other nutrients.

Side note: try to find unpasteurized dairy products- they’re the bomb.com.

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Oh, that’s cute.

Your boyfriend went to the store and bought you a bagel & ‘orange juice.’

Not so fast. And sorry– not so cute.

Check your OJ’s ingreds out ( or any kind of fruit juice for that matter ).

Many store-bought juices are commercially prepared OJ. Meaning they’re fake as shit.

Yuck.

Some companies even add artificial flavor packs ( I literally just threw up in my mouth ). And all concentrated juices contain high fructose corn syrup.

Drinking this much sugar on the reg can increase your risk of kidney disease & heart disease.

So next Sunday morning grab some real oranges and DIY aka make your own juice.

Cleaner, healthier, & it’s fun, fun, fun to juice it up!

‘Fat free’ and ‘low fat’ is so 1991.

So thank God it’s 2013 now & we all ( hopefully? ) know fat is not bad for you.

Avocados are fat.

Coconuts are fat.

Nuts are fat.

And they’re all amaze for health & wellness.

The bod cannot function without saturated fats, peeps.

Just don’t even look anything labeled “fat free’ or ‘low fat.’

Mmkay?

Happy Tuesday! x.

xx.Lauryn

{ source }

Newer comments

30 comments on Cut the BS: Educate Yourself on The Unhealthiest of ‘Health’ Foods

1. Sweat vs. Sweets
    08.20.13 at 4:45 pm (1 year ago)

I love this post!!

It is all SO true, and I am really trying at the moment to find the balance of eating fresh food and non packaged items.
    I love nuts and am trying to love avocado as well, as a great source of good fats!
    Sweat vs. Sweets recently posted..{L} Week That Was…My Profile

2. Hilary
    08.20.13 at 5:18 pm (1 year ago)

Totally. Stevia (or honey) rules, margarine is sick, and low fat stuff just ain’t worth it! Awesome post!
    Hilary recently posted..A Birthday Workout For MadgeMy Profile

3. Holly
    08.20.13 at 6:29 pm (1 year ago)

I just laughed so hard even though I already knew this stuff! Keep preachin’ girl.

4. Kristen N
    08.20.13 at 7:35 pm (1 year ago)

Oh man. My mother in law is CRAZY for the low-fat/fat free shit. She’s always trying to push it all on me as a way to “keep calories in check” and “eat healthier.” Um, I’d rather be consuming real food that will actually do something good for my body!

Thanks for informing the uninformed! Great post.

5. Hannah
    08.20.13 at 7:43 pm (1 year ago)

Ah, I didn’t know about agave nectar!! I think I’ve learned more reading your blog than I have in class.

6. Tara@PNWRunner
    08.20.13 at 8:52 pm (1 year ago)

I totally agree. Concentrated juice, butter, corn syrup- all yuck! Over the last few months, I’ve begun to add more applesauce, egg whites, flax seeds, honey to my recipes in order to make them healthier.
    Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Seattle Marathon 10k Summer RaceMy Profile

7. Christina
    08.20.13 at 9:06 pm (1 year ago)

Great minds think alike! I just posted on this exact thing a few weeks ago anded I have a saved post on the “truth about agave” Gross! Thanks for all your wise words. Always love your candor :)
    Christina recently posted..Fit Tip: Plank for a Flat StomachMy Profile

8. Kristie
    08.20.13 at 9:45 pm (1 year ago)

I love this post. I couldn’t agree with you more about butter. Also, I love what you said about healthy ‘fat’ food. Keep up these awesome posts!

9. Kaja
    08.20.13 at 11:49 pm (1 year ago)

But, what about raw agave syrup? Nice post:-)

10. Karen
    08.21.13 at 6:05 am (1 year ago)

Get out the word about “real butter” girl! Its gross that people are buying fake butters made with olive oil and shit because they think its “healthier”. Real butter is the way to go. Margarine is gross! eww.
    Karen recently posted..{Full Body} Deck of Cards WorkoutMy Profile

11. Mallory
    08.21.13 at 6:31 am (1 year ago)

I love this! I wish my mom would listen to me about low fat/no fat food. Real, clean food in moderation is not that hard! I, for one, love real butter. I even make my own every so often, surprisingly not that hard if you have a stand mixer, plus you get some fresh buttermilk as a by-product. I found a locally produced non-homogenized, batch pasteurized milk – pasteurized but at a lower temp for longer time which maintains more good stuff but still kills bad stuff – at Whole Foods that I love also.

12. shauna
    08.21.13 at 6:38 am (1 year ago)

Great post! Such scams!

xoxo Shauna

theprettywiseblog.blogspot.com

13. Elizabeth M-B
    08.21.13 at 7:01 am (1 year ago)

I’m totally with you on all of this, especially the concentrated juice. A few more things that might belong on the list: power bars, “light” popcorn, and even nonfat milk!

14. Kirsten
    08.21.13 at 8:12 am (1 year ago)

LOVE this post, Lauryn!!! I just sent this link out to my gfs and bookmarked for future reference…Think how far we’ve come since the non-organic jug ‘o juice days. :)
    xxoo