The Sickie, Disgusting Truth About Sugar-Free Coffee Syrups

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and lifestyle blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.

Please don’t be that person in line at Starbucks.

You know the person that thinks they’re totally healthy because they order sugar-free syrup in their AM coffee instead of regular, old syrup?

News flash!!!

If you’re trying to keep your weight down ( & wanting to be healthy/sexy ) then sugar-free shit isn’t the way to go. Why? Because:

1.} There’s tons of sick-ass chemicals in fake sweeteners. These fake sweeteners increase ( yes, you heard that correctly, increase ) the appetite. So WTF is the point of sugar-free crap if it increases your appetite? Beats me.

2.} Throw that Equal in the trash! I mean, really. Aspartame is the devil. It’s known to cause seizers & brain tumors.

3.} Suralose isn’t any better. Those bright, cute colored packages of Splenda? Fail. Big fail. Splenda can enlarge the liver & kidneys while shrinking the thymus gland. Some other fun effects from this nasty chemical? Panic, diarrhea, headaches, bladder problems, & stomach pains. Don’t be fooled by marketing.

And your local coffee shop’s sugar-free syrups most likely contain one or more of the above chemicals. Disgusting, right?!

Tomorrow when you’re ordering a cup of Joe, try using cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice as an all-natural sweetener. If you’re DYING for a sugary taste, please do yourself a favor & use organic Stevia ( it’s derived from a plant ) instead. Eat real foods!

I beg, I beg.

Besides sugar-free syrup in your coffee is pretty gross if you really think about it.

xx.L

{ source }

Newer comments

34 comments on The Sickie, Disgusting Truth About Sugar-Free Coffee Syrups

1. megan
    07.23.13 at 5:47 pm (1 year ago)

how do you feel about agave sweetner?

2. katie
    07.23.13 at 8:08 pm (1 year ago)

i have been trying to kick my sickie sugar free habit for a while now but this post made me go into my kitchen and through away any remaining sugar free stuff that I was “using up” !! thanks for the info !<3

3. ayesha
    07.23.13 at 10:59 pm (1 year ago)

The sane goes with diet coke. Ive seen so many people drink diet coke as it will help control calories. If you dont want to add on the calories just stay away from soda!
    ayesha recently posted..Little things matter.My Profile

07.23.13 at 11:26 pm (1 year ago)

Yes!!!! Agreed! Diet Coke is awful :/.

4. Jessica
    07.24.13 at 1:48 am (1 year ago)

Noted!!! I will not be ordering that again with my skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks. Thanks for the post :-)

• Cristina
      07.24.13 at 6:16 am (1 year ago)

Just FYI, the sugar free syrup IS what makes a “skinny” latte, skinny.

Love everything about your site Lauryn!

• Noelle
      10.11.14 at 2:00 pm (2 months ago)

Um Cristina….nope. It’s not just the syrup. It’s also the milk- they end up using skim and that’s the bulk of why sugar free drinks are so low in calories. FYI.

5. shelley
    07.24.13 at 5:13 am (1 year ago)

The lack of knowledge about healthful eating is astonishing. The other day I heard someone saying how healthy their sugar free pudding cup was because it has hardly any calories….WHAT?!

When is the US going to catch up on the fact that low calories does not equal healthy, that putting fakey garbage into our mouths will never help us to permanently lose the weight or find health, and that these chemicals are straight up horribly dangerous? I sure hope we catch up soon!

6. Dana
    07.24.13 at 5:35 am (1 year ago)

Ditto to flavored non-dairy creamers… gives me the total icks.

7. Jessica
    07.24.13 at 6:15 am (1 year ago)

I always put cinnamon or loose leaf tea in with my coffee grounds in the morning and it is sooo delish! I’ve noticed that I’ve cut back in how much sugar I use in my coffee since I started doing that.

8. Mallory
    07.24.13 at 6:20 am (1 year ago)

I’ve always preferred my coffee black so I’ve never had to worry in that case buuutt, I’m from the South and was practically raised on sweet tea. I recently (finally) kicked my diet coke-a-day habit, so it’s been super hard to let go of sweet tea. I transitioned to unsweet tea with sweet n’ low (I know – not much better than equal or splenda) but I just started carrying stevia packets in my purse because restaurants NEVER have stevia and I’m so glad I did, especially after reading this post!

9. The Delicate Place (@misathemeb)
    07.24.13 at 7:17 am (1 year ago)

couldn’t agree more! i used to be so addicted to splenda several years ago and it caused me intestinal distress and my cravings for sweets went through the roof! i can’t even use stevia these days because it gives me headaches! i just use unsweetened nut mylk or soy on occasion in my cup or tea/java. sooooo much better for you too!

10. Meredith
    07.24.13 at 8:17 am (1 year ago)

I put 1 tbsp of so delicious coconut milk creamer. Does the trick for me and its only 20 calories! yay! and free of everything!

11. Jenni
    07.24.13 at 5:13 pm (1 year ago)

Ew, I hate fake sweeteners. I don’t drink coffee, but even so I refuse to consume fake sweeteners in anything. I don’t like the taste of stevia, so I use honey or maple syrup in pretty much anything I make at home that requires some sweetness. My honest opinion is that a little sugar never killed anybody. It’s all about moderation. The girl who puts real sugar in her coffee is being much healthier than the girl who reaches for the no-cal Equal.
    Jenni recently posted..Early Bird BreakfastMy Profile

07.24.13 at 5:15 pm (1 year ago)

LOVE it Jenni! We’re on the same page : ). x.

• ayesha
      07.26.13 at 10:25 am (1 year ago)

Exactly! There was a phase when I bugged my mom to let me use sugar free. She refused to. But when I researched about it, I was so happy I did. I figured if i want to eat food like that, Il eat it royally (portion controlled, obviously) without really cutting out its goodness. Or ill just eat healthy.
      ayesha recently posted..A voidMy Profile

12. Karen
    07.25.13 at 7:16 am (1 year ago)

Thank YOU FINALLY someone who understands that splenda is NOT healthy. Its irritating that everyone leans for spleanda because they think its super healthy.
    WRONG – why bother with the shit? If you’re looking for sugar, just use the real stuff!
    Karen recently posted..Body Movin; Up & Down Cardio WorkoutMy Profile

13. N
    07.25.13 at 12:53 pm (1 year ago)

Haha…This is so spot on! I totally judge people in line at Starbucks too.

Sugar free syrup belongs in the bin with carbonated drinks!

N x
    N recently posted..Oh No….Not Another BlogMy Profile

14. Kathryn @ Illustrated Nutrition
    07.25.13 at 10:58 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you SO much for sharing this! The world needs to start coming to terms with the fact that “sugar-free” or “calorie-free” does NOT make it healthy. Our bodies were not created to be able to process these horrible and harsh chemicals all the time. Thanks Lauryn!
    Kathryn @ Illustrated Nutrition recently posted..Kitchen DelightsMy Profile

15. Kristi
    07.31.13 at 12:06 am (1 year ago)

Although I tend to feel better when I cut out sweetener of any kind, this article is great food for thought concerning aspartame/stevia. I very much believe there is still much to learn about Stevia; just because it comes from a plant doesn’t mean it’s in any way shape or form good for you. Doesn’t mean it’s bad, either. Also there are arguments against the claims that aspartame is in fact capable of seriously compromising your health. I don’t think there are any definite answers, but it is safe to say staying away from sweetener won’t hurt you :D. Hahaha. But I just think this article is interesting! I know I’ve strayed away from artificial sweeteners recently, but there were years where I drank diet soda as well as used sugar free syrups and never experienced a negative side effect. Was never bloated, never felt like it increased my appetite, never had any health problems… I think a lot of it is case by case.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Sickie, Disgusting Truth About Sugar-Free Coffee Syrups

1. […] Want more? Read the truth about sickie, disgusting syrups here […]