You Can’t Exercise Your Way Out of a Bad Diet {!!!}

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, lifestyle blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, lifestyle blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.

Ever heard someone say this: “I don’t really care if I ate six slices of pizza, I’ll just go to the gym tomorrow.”

Or what about this: “OMFG I just worked out so hard I deserve this bag of cookies.”

I’m starting to realize more & more that it’s F-ing stupid to associate shitty food with working out.

Like, why is it ok to go burn two hundred cals on the Elliptical & then go justify a bad diet by eating crap just because you worked out?

Here’s what my trainer told me to do: STOP always associating calories with food.

I mean, just because you ran doesn’t mean you should be entitled to an extra three slices of pizza.

Separate exercise & food.

For me, exercise quells my anxiety levels. It’s a way for me to release stress & let go of negative energy. It’s not just about having a tight ass.

Although— who doesn’t want a tight ass?

Like, really.

Welp tight assses aren’t just made in the gym. They’re typically made in the kitch. Keep it simple: exercise, eat as clean as possible, & don’t justify a horrendous diet by saying “you’ll burn it off later.”

So, dear anyone who thinks they can eat like shit & work it off in the gym- change your habits! Just a little reminder ; ). xo.L

Newer comments

22 comments on You Can’t Exercise Your Way Out of a Bad Diet {!!!}

1. Flower Power
    07.11.13 at 7:55 pm (1 year ago)

Towards the end of one of my workout classes last week, this woman brought out a cake and asked me if I would stay to eat cake after the class ended. I was like “what the F?” She was pretty serious. Um, no thanks.

2. Court Star @ StarSystemz
    07.11.13 at 7:56 pm (1 year ago)

Being a personal trainer this is my #1! I have such a hardtime with clients who think that exercising gives them the freedom to eat as they please, it drives me nutso! Thanks for sharing! Love + Shine CourtStar
    Court Star @ StarSystemz recently posted..WIAW: WHAT I ATE WEDNESDAYMy Profile

3. Tara@PNWRunner
    07.11.13 at 10:49 pm (1 year ago)

I remember hearing people talk about using exercise as a reward to eat whatever they wanted. Hey, that doesn’t cure the issue. I agree, exercise shouldn’t be used as a way to eat whatever you want. It isn’t a healthy way of changing your current diet.
    Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Seattle’s Kilometers for Cancer Run + The Banana SplitMy Profile

4. Louise@ Fit Radiance
    07.12.13 at 1:08 am (1 year ago)

Great post, more people need to be made aware of this. When I first started working out a few years back, I wondered why my body wasn’t changing much and it was because I barely changed my diet! Once I cut out the crap, those abs started showing up ;)

5. Laura
    07.12.13 at 5:01 am (1 year ago)

Thank you. It’s always a good reminder, especially in the summer with all the BBQs and HHs we go to. I always try to remind myself that abs are made in the kitchen!!

6. Karen
    07.12.13 at 8:10 am (1 year ago)

“Your not hungry, you’re bored – learn the difference” I Love that quote….I use it frequently with my friends ;) when you’re bored – its time to hit the gym :)
    Karen recently posted..Top 10 Fitness MythsMy Profile

7. Kelly
    07.12.13 at 9:16 am (1 year ago)

I love that one about keeping good things in your fridge, so important!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

8. GiGi Eats Celebrities
    07.12.13 at 9:38 am (1 year ago)

Drive me BONKERS when friends or even just people I observe head for the thick calorie dense protein shakes or smoothies after they work out… Well you just un-did all the work and effort you put into that workout, nicely done… Ah ha ha!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Gwyneth Paltrow is Utterly ScrumptiousMy Profile

9. Jenna Santos
    07.12.13 at 11:08 am (1 year ago)

Great posts! I love the sense of humor you guys bring to this blog!

You all should look into this fit chick named Molly on Instagram @mo_lllly I’m so obsessed with her–she’s hilarious, super hot, and super fit.

It would be fun if you did like a Q and A with her!

XO

Jenna

07.12.13 at 1:31 pm (1 year ago)

Will definitely check Molly out! Thanks for reading ; ) I’m flattered you like my sense of humor. It’s def not for everyone! LOL. x.

10. michelle
    07.12.13 at 12:29 pm (1 year ago)

yes! my fave: “Abs are made in the kitchen.”

11. Caitlin
    07.12.13 at 2:37 pm (1 year ago)

I was thinking about emailing you earlier on this topic and now i feel like its the perfect question after this post. I just received the news that I have two herniated disks in my lower back and have to “take it easy” in terms of working out. Like really what does “take it easy mean” lol. Anyways I am wondering now if I should tweak the ole eating habits to go along with a less strenuous workout regime. Do you have any thoughts or insight on this situation? How does one match their diet to their level of activity? Especially if you are recommended little to no activity for at least a limited period of time.

Thanks for awesome posts all the time! You rock L xoxo

12. Julie
    07.12.13 at 4:19 pm (1 year ago)

Great point. I think it’s also important to point out – it’s ok to occasionally ‘reward’ yourself with a sweet post-workout. But the difference even between a treat without HFCS and preservatives is way different than a box full of twinkies. Even the guilty pleasures should be clean.

I remember reading an interview with beyonce years ago, saying if she had 1 cookie she’d have to work out for 2 extra hours. I don’t think most people associate How long it takes to burn calories, too!

13. Americanika
    07.13.13 at 10:18 am (1 year ago)

This is so hard to read, yet so true. 75% of your health and fitness comes from what you put in your body. I might take these images and put them up around my house for inspiration.
    Americanika recently posted..What I talk about when I talk about loveMy Profile

14. Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog
    07.16.13 at 1:47 am (1 year ago)

My fitness instructor keeps saying that sweat is your fat crying – but it’s not! That’s an excuse for eating badly. You eat badly, you are feeding your fat; you eat clean, you are feeding your body and mind!
    Emily – It Comes Naturally Blog recently posted..Inspirational quotesMy Profile

15. Salina
    07.17.13 at 2:14 pm (1 year ago)

Why haven’t I found this blog sooner??? Love your humor! Thanks for helping me to reconsider the cookie that I was about to eat. My workouts are becoming counter productive. Must stop these bad food choices.

16. marnie perri
    07.17.13 at 5:05 pm (1 year ago)

Hi I love your blog, definitely subscribing!
    You should check out my new blog where I’ll be
    talking about health, vitamins, herbs, and
    improving your life!
    Plus If you check out my blog there are links to my
    website&store where you can see all about the vitamin
    storage product I created (Wellness Travel Pak) that was
    featured on Kris Carr’s blog!

Roam Blog

17. Rhian Head
    12.09.13 at 1:42 pm (1 year ago)

Adore this post, I’m the healthiest in my family because I obey these rules. Everyone else has cakes and chocolate after the slightest bit of exercise. I tweet a lot about health and eating well, follow me @tororhian

Newer comments