The Deets on ‘Skinny Fat’

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny fat.

Skinny fat ( adjective ): to appear skinny, but feel soft. Someone who is naturally thin but doesn’t ever work out. On the site, Urban Dictionary, they state ‘skinny fat’ means “to look slim, even with revealing clothes, but when touched, the touching hand sinks into fat before reaching the muscle.” My Fitness Pal says “skinny fat is having a normal BMI but an obese level of body fat percentage. Studies have found that approximately 29% of people with average BMI fall into the ‘skinny fat’ definition.

After researching the controversial topic, I’ve come to the following conclusions:

Anyone who thinks ‘skinny fat’ is chill, may as well be smoking crack.

Skinny fat is bad.bad.bad. I mean, really!! Wake up! Just because someone’s skinny doesn’t mean they’re healthy!

Puhhhh-lease.

Get real: if you eat like shit, you feel like shit, & eventually you’ll look like shit.

So. If you fall in to the ‘skinny fat’ category how can you fix it?

Duh! The old fashion way: clean eating, drinking tons of water, cutting back on alcohol, & obviously- EXERCISE!

Because honestly? If you’re already thin to begin with, don’t you want to be the best, toned version of yourself?

Don’t forget: 80% of success is showing up!!! See ya at the gym ; ), L

19 comments on The Deets on ‘Skinny Fat’

1. Lyn
    05.16.13 at 4:53 pm (1 year ago)

Just over a year ago a Personal trainer started calling me Skinny fat. I was horrified because I worked out all the time but I had way too much fat on my stomach. When I hit 30 I went from super skinny to muffin top. I was eating like absolute shit, people encouraged me to eat like shit because I was so skinny but this gave me high cholesterol! Skinny people probably need to be more cautious of their health because they can eat so much crap. Eating like this will eventually catch up to you.
    My trainer gave me the motivation to clean up my diet and go from a sugar addict to a health food junkie!
    I am now skinny toned! :)
    Lyn recently posted..Success and the Bathroom FloorMy Profile

2. Akansha
    05.16.13 at 5:11 pm (1 year ago)

Woo I’m so glad you wrote this post! It’s not about being skinny its about being fit and healthy! I wish some of my friends would realize that :)

• Teresa
      05.23.14 at 10:27 pm (5 months ago)

so true! im on a mission to go from skinny fat to toned right now and it feels soo good!

3. Janine Markham
    05.16.13 at 5:44 pm (1 year ago)

Soooo glad you wrote this. There are plenty of people out there that fit into this category and it’s alarming. I used to be like this but thankfully I woke up started heading to the gym 5-6 days a week and started eating clean. Thanks for keeping it real!

4. Tara@PNWRunner
    05.16.13 at 8:49 pm (1 year ago)

I love this. It is soo true! I’ve met people in this category and I just feel like they misuse their bodies by giving it too many unhealthy things.
    Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Lacing Up Your Running ShoesMy Profile

5. Kim @ BusyBod
    05.17.13 at 5:43 am (1 year ago)

So glad you wrote this! Too many people equate skinny with healthy and it couldn’t be further from the truth. No matter how you look on the outside, to keep your insides healthy you need exactly what you said – clean eating, water, and physical activity.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted..The Unexpected Emotions of Weight LossMy Profile

6. Bridget
    05.17.13 at 6:55 am (1 year ago)

Skinny-Fat makes me sooooo angry!! especially when girls think they are skinny and are like “I never work out I have such a fast metabolism”…. it is so unhealthy!!

also… what image software do you use to create your images and edit pictures? (like the pic for this post or the one below) thanks!

-B

7. Heidi
    05.17.13 at 10:22 am (1 year ago)

Lauren do you mind if I ask what your body stats are! You look great , just curious?

8. Saffy
    05.17.13 at 11:31 am (1 year ago)

Amazing article, summed me up precisely, I started clean eating a few weeks ago, and I’m still adjusting to it, but exactly what exercises can I use to budge the belly fat?! x

• Teresa
      05.23.14 at 10:28 pm (5 months ago)

im on the same mission myself! my abs are finally starting to pop eekk!

9. Karen
    05.17.13 at 12:42 pm (1 year ago)

People need to realize that just because you are “skinny” doesn’t mean you are healthy. There are too many girls out there who strive to be skinny, and end up being small with a huge amount of body fat. It’s unhealthy, unattractive and a big no, no for girls to think its the way to being healthy!
    Karen recently posted..Sports Bra: I Love YouMy Profile

10. Jenni
    05.17.13 at 12:56 pm (1 year ago)

This is exactly why I love this quote so much: “Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked.” It’s SO true. The only thing this quote doesn’t include is that fit girls look good in clothes AND look good naked. Fit girls for the win!
    Jenni recently posted..Raw Kale SaladMy Profile

11. Laurie
    05.18.13 at 10:09 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for this post!! Now I realize this is exactly what I was before moving to a healthy lifestyle. I didn’t know there was a word for that!

12. Jess
    05.26.13 at 10:09 pm (1 year ago)

I’m glad this term is being used more and is being more widely understood. It’s not rocket science but it may be a wake up call to those who are skinny, thinking all is okay when it might not be.
    Jess recently posted..Burn the Fat, Feed the MuscleMy Profile

13. Maggie
    06.11.13 at 4:38 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Lauryn! I’m so happy I discovered your blog. It is fantastic! We share a lot of the same interests. I am passionate about fitness and food as well! I am also really glad that someone finally posted something about “skinny fat.” I eat really healthy but do not have that naturally “skinny” figure. I am petite but I have muscular runner’s legs. Many of my friends eat really poorly and they eat like that all the time. Also, they never work out. Yet they are so skinny! I admire you for recognizing the importance of not just being skinny on the outside, but healthy on the inside.
    Maggie recently posted..The Magic of Juicing & Maggie’s Ginger Green Lemonade RecipeMy Profile

14. Jac
    10.13.13 at 7:16 pm (1 year ago)

Wow. I didn’t know there was a word for what I am.

A few months back you could have told me took look at my body and I’d describe it as skinny.
    Honestly, now, when I look at my body, all I see is skinny fat. I’m sooooo ready to become fit before I actually gain weight!
    My friends always say “oh, i wish i was your weight” and I’m like, yeah, that’d be great, as long as you don’t look like this. Ugh.

Any suggestions to get rid of body fat?