Beauty Expert Weslie Christensen: Hair, Hair, & More Hair

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger & health blogger, talks to Weslie Christensen from LoveChugs.

Yay! I have Weslie ( find her here, here, & here too ) on the blog today…& guess what guys?! She’s talking about…

HAIR!!!!

Def one of my favorite subjects ; ).

I mean, since I don’t really wash my hair ( read more on that dirty, lil secret here ), I could probably use some extra tips!

Enjoy:

Hi babes.

It’s me again, Weslie, from LoveChugs.

Today I am talking hair— my hair that is, & I seem to take a different approach than most when it comes to my mop top. I’ve been reluctant to openly share about my hair habits, but Lauryn asked, & when Lauryn asks- she receives!

So, I’ve broken my hair have-to’s down into five basic categories:

1.} Washing

2.} Conditioning

3.} Hot tools

4.} Weekly moisture masks

5.} Styling

Why have I been a bit reluctant to dish all my hair secrets? Truthfully, because I’m scared to have you guys running for the hills once you find out about #1…but here it is.

1.} The dirty secret when it comes to my hair?

I don’t shampoo it.

Ever.

I try stay away from shampoo like the plague.

This idea to stop washing my hair came to me over months of hair envy of my husband. He decided to grow out his hair and he noticed when he washed it with shampoo it became dryer and poofier… So he simply stopped using shampoo.

I hinted, then urged, then I was vocally grossed out by this…but, after time his hair just kept getting more and more awesome. I couldn’t deny what I was seeing everyday. It was shiny, thick, and never ever greasy or smelly. In fact, it smelled good. How?!!

I hopped on the inter-web and found a whole community of ‘no-poo shampooers’ ( no-poo shampooers are people who choose to not use shampoo…you think they could have come up with a better name, right? ) & I was astounded by the mass amount of information out there that points to shampoo being the culprit of a lot of modern day hair issues.

In short, it all boils down to this: the detergent in shampoo strips your hair of its precious natural oils…like the ones we’re paying an arm and a leg to put back in ( i.e.: MoroccanOil & Argan Oil ). The more you wash with shampoo, the more your follicles are stripped of everything good, & the more oil your scalp has to produce to fill the oil deficiency you’re creating each day.

Enter the ugly revolving door of nasty, greasy roots with overly dry hair shafts here.

So I stopped. I just stopped shampooing. I found a product called Wen, which is a cleansing conditioner, and replaced my shampoo with that. It cleans your hair while simultaneously conditioning, and it uses no detergents, sulfates or harsh chemicals. In fact, Wen doesn’t even lather while its in your hair.

Immediately I noticed results. And even better- I found that after using Wen for a few weeks I could go longer in between washes. My hair wasn’t producing too much oil anymore, thus, no need to wash it as often, so I went from every other day washings to once a week over the span of two months.

After this, it was only natural that I started to tap into other forms of ‘no-pooing shampooing’ and I found the baking soda method. I tried that & loved it, too!

The deets:

SHAMPOO:

I ‘no-poo shampoo’ once a week. I’ll wash with Wen one week, lets say on Thursday, then the following Thursday I would wash using the baking soda method. The Thursday after that, I would go back to washing with Wen. I like to switch it up to keep my hair guessing.

2.} CONDITIONING:

- Wen is an awesome conditioner on its own, but when I feel like I need to repair any damage I’ve created to my hair by bleaching, or by using hot tools then I use Kerastase Nutritive Masque Nutri-Thermique. It’s the best restorative conditioner I’ve found yet. I apply it after I wash and let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse.

- ITs A 10 Leave-In

Leave-in Conditioner’s are a must, & ITs A 10 Leave-In is my favorite because it does ten things in one. I put this in my hair after each shower whether I ‘no-poo shampoo’ or not.

3.} HOT TOOLS:

Its so, so important to invest it quality hot tools. I fought this for a long time, but when I finally retired my old hair dryer out for my Hana professional blow-dryer…..GUYS, it was LIFE CHANGING! Ok, so that might be slightly dramatic, but it takes me half the time to dry my hair and when I’m finished drying, my hair feels silkier and healthier than before.

Professional styling tools like Hana are equipped with:

~ Ion-Technology- which condition hair & reduces static electricity.

~ Tourmaline & Titanium Oxide Technology- these are natural ions that promote healthier hair.

~ Silver Nanotechnology- for anti-bacterial protection.

Heat that is good for your hair…it’s a must.

4.} WEEKLY MOISTURE MASKS:

Once a week I make one of two different homemade masks to restore and moisturize my hair. I switch off between a ‘Raw Coconut Oil Mask’ & an ‘Avocado/Mayo Mask.’

1.} Organic Raw Coconut Oil Mask

What does coconut oil do? Well, because of its chemical structure, coconut oil can actually penetrate the cortex ( the inner part of hair ) which can help improve its strength and flexibility. I buy mine from Trader Joe’s.

* The coconut oil is solid at room temp, so I run the jar of it under warm water to soften it up and make the application process easy-peasy. When the oil is softened, I slather it from root to tip of my dry or damp hair, then massage it in. From here, I wrap my hair up in Saran Wrap really tight, then go on a cleaning frenzy in my house. After sixty minutes, I rinse the coconut oil out in the shower with hot water and the Wen method of washing. Sometime I will have to do two rounds of washings to get all the oil out. Dry as usual.

2.} Avocado Mayo Mask Ingredients:

1/4 cup full fat mayo, to add shine and moisture.

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, to balance the pH of your hair and remove product buildup.

1 egg yolk, vitamins in the yolk help with hair loss, dandruff, dry scalp, shine, and elasticity.

1/4 cup olive oil, to create shine & moisturize.

1/2 an avocado( smashed ), to moisturize and aid in hair growth.

1/4 cup raw honey, to restore dull looking hair.

* Mix the above ingredients together until it is in a smooth, creamy consistency, then apply it from root to tip of your dry or damp hair using an old paint brush. Wrap your hair tightly up in Saran Wrap, or use a shower cap, then leave this mask on for thirty-sixty minutes to reach maximum moisture benefits. Rinse with hot water in the shower and the Wen method of washing. Dry as usual.

** I suggest investing in a removable shower head if your ready to embark on the no-poo shampooing/home made hair mask journey. With a removable shower head, you can get the water right to your scalp with great water pressure which helps a lot when rinsing out heavy masks like these.

5.} STYLING:

- First styling trick up is cornstarch.

I use good ole’ regular cornstarch in place of dry shampoo and styling products. It works better, trust me…And I know, I know…right now you’re saying, “But! I have dark hair-that wont work for me.” I’m hear to tell you YES IT WILL!

If you have dark hair, just add a little cocoa powder to the corn starch before you toss it around your roots and you have will the world best dry shampoo/volumizer/ texturizer out that matches your hair. The cornstarch helps to hold your style while soaking up any excessive oil throughout the day.

- Styling trick numero dos: Bellami clip-in hair extensions.

I recently came across these guys and they have quickly become what I consider to be the holy grail of hair styling.

These clip in hair extensions are not to be compared to any other beauty shop clip in extensions out-they’re truly in a league of their own. Bellami uses real hair that is so soft and actually stays that way. There are no nasty ends with these guys, and the hair holds it style so well. You see, I have learned my lesson the hard way when it comes to non-clip in hair extensions, and never will I ever have any form of hair semi-permanently attached to my head again—and you shouldn’t either.

Why?

Because they’re too damaging ( plus annoying ), and to me, its not worth six weeks of long, luscious, awesome hair for one whole year of repairing the damage semi-permanent extensions create….So, thank the good lord above for Bellami coming out with theeeee most amazing clip in extensions everrrr. Guys, ever…I mean it, ever.

And to be clear, they are not paying me to say a this..in fact, no brand I have named is. All of my opinions are my own, but, Bellami’s really are just that amazing. These clip-ins allow me to have the style I want without having to do my daily– I just throw them in, and voila! I’m done.

So my advice to you in a nut shell is this:

Less really is more.

Simplify your hair routine, and invest in fewer products that are of a higher quality– your hair &!wallet will thank you in the end.

Newer comments

51 comments on Beauty Expert Weslie Christensen: Hair, Hair, & More Hair

1. Maddy
    05.03.13 at 9:56 pm (1 year ago)

Loved the hair advice! I was checking out the Wen site, just a quick question:

My hair is my natural colour (I still say blonde, but I’m told by my lovely girls that it’s mousey blonde/brown – denial much? haha) at the moment and it is prone to getting oily the day after I wash it so I dry shampoo for 2 days between washing. My hair is really soft and fine.

Just wondering which Wen product would you recommend? I get overwhelmed with all the options!

Maddy

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 10:49 pm (1 year ago)

Hi maddy!

I have really fine, silky hair,too, and I have used and loved all of the Wen options—but my go-to is the sweet almond mint. It works great for our specific hair type.
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

• Maddy
      05.06.13 at 1:44 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you!

2. Mira
    05.04.13 at 12:41 am (1 year ago)

That was really interesting. I will still use my shampoo but it´s from an organic brand. They don´t damage the hair like the usual shampoos do :D
    xx
    Mira
    Mira recently posted..Friday I´m In LoveMy Profile

3. Ang
    05.04.13 at 5:33 am (1 year ago)

This is a great post :) I’m obsessed about hair, so this was really interesting :) xx
    Ang recently posted..Workout outfit inspirationMy Profile

4. emily
    05.04.13 at 6:38 am (1 year ago)

So my question is I workout…. A LOT!!! Can I still follow the same routine as lined out above, or will I be super gross?? Loved this post, especially because it has lots of natural things you can do for your hair :)

xo
    emily
    emily recently posted..how we wore it: april showers bring may flowersMy Profile

• Jenn
      05.05.13 at 10:15 am (1 year ago)

I work out 6 days a week and I rinse and condition my hair (no shampoo) after I exercise and have never felt gross. :)

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 10:54 pm (1 year ago)

I shower daily, and usually put my hair in a messy bun to avoid getting it wet. But on days when I work out really hard, or just want to feel water running down my scalp I will rinse with water, towel dry, then add a touch of leave in conditioner.
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

• emily
      05.06.13 at 10:44 am (1 year ago)

Thanks girls! I will have to try it out then :)
      emily recently posted..child’s playMy Profile

5. Jane
    05.04.13 at 9:11 am (1 year ago)

I’ve been doing the “no-poo” with my hair for over a year now. I finally got fed up with it breaking, being dry + oily at the same time, and generally looking lackluster. I wash it once a week with the baking soda method. I then rinse it in watered down cheap beer. I know that sounds crazy but it’s amazing. Better than the classic apple cider vinegar method in my opinion. After about 4 days without a wash I will start to use the cocoa powder + cornstarch dry shampoo. My hair hasn’t looked this healthy since I was a wee one. Amazing. I swear not shampooing brings out my natural colors and highlights. So much shinier.

I wish everyone would try ditching shampoo. My husband even started doing it too. But only after being very skeptical. He’s a believer.

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 10:55 pm (1 year ago)

That sounds amazing! I’ll have to try it out!
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

6. Violet
    05.04.13 at 9:36 am (1 year ago)

I’m definitely trying Wen! I haaaate shampooing my hair. Love love love this advice.

7. Janine Markham
    05.04.13 at 2:32 pm (1 year ago)

My question is, what do you do on the days between? Like shower with not doing anything to your hair except getting it wet, or shower cap it?

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 10:59 pm (1 year ago)

I still shower on the days I don’t wash my hair with wen or the baking soda method. I usually put my hair up and avoid getting my hair wet or wear a shower cap everyday. But, there are times that I just want to feel water running down my face and scalp, so I’ll get my hair wet, towel dry, then add a little leave in condition to the ends on the days that aren’t hair washing days.
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

8. Shauna Quintero
    05.04.13 at 11:18 pm (1 year ago)

This is very interesting and thanks for the advice. My question is about hair products. I use hair spray. Does “no-pooing” allow for hairspray use?

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 11:05 pm (1 year ago)

Yes! Definitely. The wen completes cleanses the hair as it conditions, and the baking soda method removes all buildup that product leaves behind on your hair follicles. You can definitely continue to use all your regular styling products.
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

9. misshighsocks
    05.04.13 at 11:37 pm (1 year ago)

OMG this sounds like such a healthy thing to do for your Hair! I will definitely try the Cornstarch and the Hairmasks :) Thanks so much for coming here and writing about it!!!
    Happy Sunday!
    xoxo

10. Jenni
    05.05.13 at 4:50 pm (1 year ago)

Love, love, love this advice! I always find that the less I wash my hair, the softer it feels. Less is always more when it comes to beauty products. Even after I have a sweaty gym sesh, I’ll hop in the shower without shampooing and it’s not gross at all. I haven’t tried Wen or the baking soda method yet (I still use shampoo on the days I do decide to wash my hair), but now I’m intrigued! Weslie’s hair is gorgeous!
    Jenni recently posted..Walking the PlankMy Profile

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 10:44 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve noticed the same thing! And thank you!
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

11. Angie
    05.05.13 at 5:11 pm (1 year ago)

I love the color of your shirt, you look great!! :)
    Angie recently posted..CLASSY ARMY JEANSMy Profile

12. amberli walker
    05.05.13 at 7:14 pm (1 year ago)

Westlie, which color of those extensions do you wear?

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 10:41 pm (1 year ago)

I have ash blonde….they match wonderfully!

13. Kristin
    05.05.13 at 10:15 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you for all the hair tips!! I can’t wait to try the baking soda and cornstarch out! I have used baby powder before as a dry shampoo but never baking soda or starch!
    Kristin recently posted..No Posts Were Found!My Profile

• Weslie
      05.05.13 at 11:02 pm (1 year ago)

Corn starch is the way to go! Trust me! You’ll never look back.
      Weslie recently posted..April ShowersMy Profile

14. Mia
    05.06.13 at 3:01 am (1 year ago)

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing your tips. I’m wondering how you manage to avoid schampooing your hair when you go to the hairdresser and color your hair? The hairdresser washes it automatically.

15. Monica
    05.06.13 at 7:03 am (1 year ago)

I love the no-poo method! I have a massive quantity of curly hair but I just wanted to add my experience. It was really rough at first. My hair looked so greeaasy at first and I few times, I gave up and used regular shampoo and I had to start all over again. Before the no-poo method, I washed my hair every other day or every third day. If I straightened my hair, it could hold for 4 days max. Now I’ve been doing the no-poo wash every Sunday, straightening my hair after, and it’s good for the rest of the week. I don’t even measure the baking soda, I just put a few teaspoons in an old shampoo bottle and fill it with water. I do follow-up every time I wash it with apple cider vinegar. I also have used egg as a conditioner which is amazing but I keep my shower really hot and I swear I’ve found scrambled eggs in my hair when I brushed it after.

16. Gina Rossi
    05.06.13 at 5:17 pm (1 year ago)

Great post!

What do you do when you go to a salon and they obviously want to wash your hair with regular shampoos? What would you say? How would you get around that?

17. Jenni
    05.07.13 at 6:38 am (1 year ago)

I’m a little confused about how exactly to shampoo with the baking soda. Do you just sprinkle it on the roots and massage it into your scalp? Do you avoid your ends? Thanks!

18. Carly Feagler
    05.08.13 at 7:18 pm (1 year ago)

Love this!!!

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Beauty Expert Weslie Christensen: Hair, Hair, & More Hair

1. [...] much.  Super hot I know.I kept seeing little Wen sponsored ads pop up on my screen, and read then this review and figured I would try it.  There is a 90 day back guarantee so why not give it a whirl? It is [...]

2. [...] IS MORE.Soooo…spillllll: what’s your hair secrets?!Love.L{ More hair tips can be found here }{ Photo source }63 CommentsFiled under BeautyTagged as Biolage Hair sunscreen benefits, Bumble and [...]

3. [...] this method. (literally doing exactly what she’s [...]

4. [...] for it! I think if you buy the right ones ( I like these clip in ones )- they’re great. Weslie ( TSConf’s beauty expert ) uses clip in extensions & loves [...]

5. [...] for it! I think if you buy the right ones ( I like these clip in ones )- they’re great. Weslie ( TSConf’s beauty expert ) uses clip in extensions & loves [...]