Mini DeLites

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and lifestyle blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for weight loss.

[ La, la, love when blood oranges are in season! ]

[ A lovely table set by Julie for my brother’s birthday ]

Last night we went out to a small, charming Italian restaurant. After looking over the entire menu I realized there was absolutely.positively.nothing.healthy. Like, mussels covered in butter & cream sauce just don’t do it for me.

Here’s where modification comes in handy.

Modification is my bestie. It changes the way I eat, the way I feel, & the way I look.

Instead of a Caesar, I ordered a mixed green salad with extra beets & greens. Then for an entrée a friend & I split a margherita flatbread. We modified it by adding arugula/avocado/black olives/lemon/jalapeños & asking for light cheese.

Hey, I’m aware. These six hundred requests are annoying to any waitress ( cue: heavy sighs & evil eyes ).

But you wanna know what’s more annoying? Having love handles hang over your J Brand skinnies.

So next time you’re on a dinner date, at a cocktail party, &/or dining a restaurant, don’t be afraid to make healthier requests. Substitute creamy dressing for red wine vinegar & lemon. Request a half an order of pasta instead of a whole. Or even order sushi wrapped in cucumber instead of brown rice.

Happy Monday!

Love.L

[ A new favorite: super spicy veggie dip ]

[ A cactus peaking into our backyard ]

[ Changing up TSConf’s Pinterest! ]

[ Sunday's breakfast ]

8 comments on Mini DeLites

1. Chantelle
    03.25.13 at 9:30 pm (2 years ago)

You’re so right. It’s not taboo to change the order, and if it will make you feel healthier and BE healthier, than it’s worth the waitress’ eye-rolls!
    Chantelle recently posted..Spring 2013 Bags: Pastels & NeonsMy Profile

2. Lindsey
    03.25.13 at 10:44 pm (2 years ago)

I had never thought if cucumber wrapped sushi! This is going to change my life!!

Lindsey @ tinyinklings.blogspot.ca
    Lindsey recently posted..{design love} mint greenMy Profile

3. Anna
    03.26.13 at 12:29 am (2 years ago)

Can we just stop for a minute and talk about how talented Julie is???
    Love both of your blogs! x
    Anna recently posted..MY WEDDING MAKEUPMy Profile

4. Sam
    03.26.13 at 5:14 am (2 years ago)

I positively love blood oranges && your breakfast looks delish!

5. Arantha
    03.26.13 at 8:00 am (2 years ago)

I literally LOL’d at your love handles comment. So true.

6. Anna @ Tough Lipstick
    03.26.13 at 9:56 am (2 years ago)

Love this post – it’s so true, you can’t be afraid to modify your order when you’re out to eat. Dining out is something I love to do, so it’s totally imperative to make the healthy choice most of the time. :)
    Anna @ Tough Lipstick recently posted..Fat Hair Tips: Nutrition for Thick HairMy Profile

7. Anne
    03.26.13 at 12:17 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so glad to know that there are other picky orderers :), at least we know what we want!
    For sushi I always do light on the rice (and brown rice), To beef up a sad house salad, ask for hummus or avocados on top with vinagrette on the side, and for pizzas I love doing fresh spinach or arugula on top with goat cheese! Also if there’s a protein that comes with sauce- ask for it on the side, it’s always a calorie bomb.