The Skinny Confidential || A Lifestyle Blog. by: Lauryn Evarts

Eight Foods I Wouldn’t Touch with a Ten Foot Pole

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for quick weight loss.

Hi.

These are foods that disgust me. Enjoy ; )…!

1.} Splenda/Equal: so sorry to spoil the fun!! I know there’s many dedicated Splenda & Equal lovers out there, but pleaseeeee substitute Stevia instead. Splendy-Wendy contains sucralose & Equal has aspartame in it; this makes the brain think you’re hungry ( when you’re not ) & adds bloat.

2.} Chicken Nuggets: we’re not talking grilled chicken, peeps. The real deal: they’re actually leftover carcass pieces + sawdust-type bits. Fun!

3.} Soda ( duh ): ew (!!!). I don’t care if it’s diet, sugar-free, blah, blah. Soda is disgusting. It’s bloating & increases sugar cravings. Read more on why I hate the fizzy drink here.

4.} Certain canned soups: most of these bad boys contain so much sodium you might as well pour salt down your throat!

5.} Maraschino cherries: sick. They’re covered in red dye & artificial coloring. I’d rather eat poo.

6.} A sick-o Frappuccino: remember circa 2001 when Britney Spears would drink these, like, every second? Well, one Frappy will cost you a cool 500 cals, 16 grams of fat, 68 carbs (<<!!), & oh, ya know, just 68 grams of sugar. Not hot, Brit.

7.} Processed meat: think of a packaged hot dog or slices of boloney ( remember Spam? ). Yuck. Tons of salt, tons of fat, & tons of unknown shit. Plus processed meat is known to increase the risk of cancer & contains tons of preservatives.

8.} Lay’s ‘WOW’ Potato Chips: these are horrendous- they’re dripping in the chemical, Olestra. Side effects? Abdominal cramps, diarrhea, & loose stools ( << this fun condition is also known as anal leakage- too much? ; ) ).

Thanks, but no thanks.

Love.L

28 comments on Eight Foods I Wouldn’t Touch with a Ten Foot Pole

1. Rebecca
    02.19.13 at 4:48 pm (3 years ago)

Do you any type of packaged meat? I know that some brands of sliced turkey have low sodium or no sodium and very few other preservatives. I live in a dorm so meat is a hard thing for me to cook. Do you have any suggestions that would be better than package/processed meat? Thanks!

2. Bita Ehsanipour
    02.19.13 at 4:50 pm (3 years ago)

LMAO – Cracking up, Lauryn! Love the honesty :) espec. #8 haha

3. Lee
    02.19.13 at 5:08 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t think Olestra is in all/any chips in the US anymore (not that it justifies eating them anyway, just a clarification)…

• Dana
      02.20.13 at 7:05 am (3 years ago)

I was thinking the same thing! It’s gross, for sure, but Olestra was only in Lay’s WOW chips.

Also – I absolutely agree about using Stevia instead of Splenda, but another point of clarification that Splenda is made from sucralose, not aspartame (which is Equal – also gross).

4. Amelia
    02.19.13 at 5:13 pm (3 years ago)

I agree to all of these! Especially soda, yuck.. I hate seeing everyone with their daily Diet Coke’s, I just want to rip them out of their hands and say, “The word diet doesn’t make it healthy!” Also, energy bars and granola. Paaacked with processed junk & sugar. Mine as well grab a Snickers.
    PS I hate to be a grammar nazi but it’s bologna, not boloney. :)

5. Nadeen
    02.19.13 at 5:36 pm (3 years ago)

YES! I never ever consume Splenda or Soda. Gross. Glad someone agrees!

6. Kelly
    02.19.13 at 5:48 pm (3 years ago)

I have recently given up diet soda and with that I have stopped craving candy and most sweets. i used to drink it all day and eat Swedish fish for a treat. Couldn’t stop. So gross.

7. Suziee Shin
    02.19.13 at 6:37 pm (3 years ago)

I decided to give up diet soda today!! I hope this won’t be too difficult for me. =/ Great blog! New follower! =]

8. Carly Feagler
    02.19.13 at 6:56 pm (3 years ago)

Good one, L!
    Btw do people still drink soda?! None of your hot readers I’m sure! Barf!

9. Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement
    02.19.13 at 7:09 pm (3 years ago)

When I saw this title pop up on my reader, I thought I was going to disagree with a few, but I have to say, you hit the nail on the head! I am 100% on board with this list…Splenda really pisses me off.
    Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..New Eating Plan: The FoodMy Profile

10. Kaia
    02.20.13 at 1:53 am (3 years ago)

Hi.
    Love your blog and love this blog post <3
    I have a quite large request: Would you consider making a post about tasty, healthy (of course) lunch options without eggs and gluten?

love,
    Kaia L

11. Carla
    02.20.13 at 2:19 am (3 years ago)

Agree with every word!

12. Heather
    02.20.13 at 7:29 am (3 years ago)

I’m glad to see I don’t touch much of anything on this list minus the occasional canned soup when my fridge is bare (low sodium/healthy variety for the win!).
    Heather recently posted..Is it spring yet?My Profile

13. bre
    02.20.13 at 8:53 am (3 years ago)

Really great, informative and funny post…Thanks:)

14. Lindsey
    02.20.13 at 10:00 am (3 years ago)

couldn’t agree more! This post cracked me up!! :)

15. Stephko
    02.20.13 at 11:48 am (3 years ago)

I’m happy to announce that I agree with all of these! And while I indulge in the occasional soda and bag o’ chips, it’s not aaaaanywhere close to where I was! A year ago I probably would have thrown my shoe at the computer while reading this, but now I can tell when I “treat” myself because I feel terrible afterwards! I’m lovin’ this healthy stuff :)

16. Jenny
    02.20.13 at 2:46 pm (3 years ago)

TOTES AGREE

5 personal ones I wouldn’t touch in addition to yours

1) Baked goods at starbs (they all look identical in every store… so creepy… they were clearly all frozen) + heard the cake pops have 200+ ingredients in em.. YUCK
    2) Zevia (sketchy fake soda made with stevia that uses a FAKE name for aspartame.. huge scam) lots of youtubers plug em but they’re no good
    3) White bread / wonder bread (self explanatory)
    4) Hamburger helper / KD (my roomie eats it all the time.. FOUL)
    5) Shwarma (popular drunk food at my college… shaving meat of that giant skewer thing? UM I will be nomming on celery as I pass out thanks very much)

Great post! xx

02.25.13 at 11:22 pm (3 years ago)

Agreed!!! Your list is spot on. X.

02.25.13 at 11:20 pm (3 years ago)

; )

17. Heather
    02.21.13 at 12:58 pm (3 years ago)

I agree w/you that artifical sweetners aren’t exactly the best thing for you. But I’m pretty sure that Spelnda doesn’t actually have Aspartame in it. Nutrasweet does, but not Splenda.

02.21.13 at 3:42 pm (3 years ago)

You’re right! All fixed ; ). I was thinking of sucralose.
      Lauryn recently posted..Insty: @LaurynBoBorynMy Profile

18. Mia
    02.25.13 at 12:36 pm (3 years ago)

For natural zero cal sweeteners like stevia and truvia, do you really think they’re better than Splenda? Do they still show to cause sugar cravings?

19. nording pipes
    02.19.14 at 6:50 pm (2 years ago)

I’d been encouraged this website by means of my nephew. Practical goal favourable if it organize is usually published by him or her since nobody else understand this sort of particular in relation to my own trouble. You might be superb! Thanks!