Eight Foods I Wouldn’t Touch with a Ten Foot Pole

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, and diet blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for quick weight loss.

Hi.

These are foods that disgust me. Enjoy ; )…!

1.} Splenda/Equal: so sorry to spoil the fun!! I know there’s many dedicated Splenda & Equal lovers out there, but pleaseeeee substitute Stevia instead. Splendy-Wendy contains sucralose & Equal has aspartame in it; this makes the brain think you’re hungry ( when you’re not ) & adds bloat.

2.} Chicken Nuggets: we’re not talking grilled chicken, peeps. The real deal: they’re actually leftover carcass pieces + sawdust-type bits. Fun!

3.} Soda ( duh ): ew (!!!). I don’t care if it’s diet, sugar-free, blah, blah. Soda is disgusting. It’s bloating & increases sugar cravings. Read more on why I hate the fizzy drink here.

4.} Certain canned soups: most of these bad boys contain so much sodium you might as well pour salt down your throat!

5.} Maraschino cherries: sick. They’re covered in red dye & artificial coloring. I’d rather eat poo.

6.} A sick-o Frappuccino: remember circa 2001 when Britney Spears would drink these, like, every second? Well, one Frappy will cost you a cool 500 cals, 16 grams of fat, 68 carbs (<<!!), & oh, ya know, just 68 grams of sugar. Not hot, Brit.

7.} Processed meat: think of a packaged hot dog or slices of boloney ( remember Spam? ). Yuck. Tons of salt, tons of fat, & tons of unknown shit. Plus processed meat is known to increase the risk of cancer & contains tons of preservatives.

8.} Lay’s ‘WOW’ Potato Chips: these are horrendous- they’re dripping in the chemical, Olestra. Side effects? Abdominal cramps, diarrhea, & loose stools ( << this fun condition is also known as anal leakage- too much? ; ) ).

Thanks, but no thanks.

Love.L

Newer comments

28 comments on Eight Foods I Wouldn’t Touch with a Ten Foot Pole

1. Rebecca
    02.19.13 at 4:48 pm (2 years ago)

Do you any type of packaged meat? I know that some brands of sliced turkey have low sodium or no sodium and very few other preservatives. I live in a dorm so meat is a hard thing for me to cook. Do you have any suggestions that would be better than package/processed meat? Thanks!

2. Bita Ehsanipour
    02.19.13 at 4:50 pm (2 years ago)

LMAO – Cracking up, Lauryn! Love the honesty :) espec. #8 haha

3. Lee
    02.19.13 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

I don’t think Olestra is in all/any chips in the US anymore (not that it justifies eating them anyway, just a clarification)…

• Dana
      02.20.13 at 7:05 am (2 years ago)

I was thinking the same thing! It’s gross, for sure, but Olestra was only in Lay’s WOW chips.

Also – I absolutely agree about using Stevia instead of Splenda, but another point of clarification that Splenda is made from sucralose, not aspartame (which is Equal – also gross).

4. Amelia
    02.19.13 at 5:13 pm (2 years ago)

I agree to all of these! Especially soda, yuck.. I hate seeing everyone with their daily Diet Coke’s, I just want to rip them out of their hands and say, “The word diet doesn’t make it healthy!” Also, energy bars and granola. Paaacked with processed junk & sugar. Mine as well grab a Snickers.
    PS I hate to be a grammar nazi but it’s bologna, not boloney. :)

5. Nadeen
    02.19.13 at 5:36 pm (2 years ago)

YES! I never ever consume Splenda or Soda. Gross. Glad someone agrees!

6. Kelly
    02.19.13 at 5:48 pm (2 years ago)

I have recently given up diet soda and with that I have stopped craving candy and most sweets. i used to drink it all day and eat Swedish fish for a treat. Couldn’t stop. So gross.

7. Suziee Shin
    02.19.13 at 6:37 pm (2 years ago)

I decided to give up diet soda today!! I hope this won’t be too difficult for me. =/ Great blog! New follower! =]

8. Carly Feagler
    02.19.13 at 6:56 pm (2 years ago)

Good one, L!
    Btw do people still drink soda?! None of your hot readers I’m sure! Barf!

9. Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement
    02.19.13 at 7:09 pm (2 years ago)

When I saw this title pop up on my reader, I thought I was going to disagree with a few, but I have to say, you hit the nail on the head! I am 100% on board with this list…Splenda really pisses me off.
    Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..New Eating Plan: The FoodMy Profile

10. Kaia
    02.20.13 at 1:53 am (2 years ago)

Hi.
    Love your blog and love this blog post <3
    I have a quite large request: Would you consider making a post about tasty, healthy (of course) lunch options without eggs and gluten?

love,
    Kaia L

11. Carla
    02.20.13 at 2:19 am (2 years ago)

Agree with every word!

12. Heather
    02.20.13 at 7:29 am (2 years ago)

I’m glad to see I don’t touch much of anything on this list minus the occasional canned soup when my fridge is bare (low sodium/healthy variety for the win!).
    Heather recently posted..Is it spring yet?My Profile

13. bre
    02.20.13 at 8:53 am (2 years ago)

Really great, informative and funny post…Thanks:)

14. Lindsey
    02.20.13 at 10:00 am (2 years ago)

couldn’t agree more! This post cracked me up!! :)

15. Stephko
    02.20.13 at 11:48 am (2 years ago)

I’m happy to announce that I agree with all of these! And while I indulge in the occasional soda and bag o’ chips, it’s not aaaaanywhere close to where I was! A year ago I probably would have thrown my shoe at the computer while reading this, but now I can tell when I “treat” myself because I feel terrible afterwards! I’m lovin’ this healthy stuff :)

16. Jenny
    02.20.13 at 2:46 pm (2 years ago)

TOTES AGREE

5 personal ones I wouldn’t touch in addition to yours

1) Baked goods at starbs (they all look identical in every store… so creepy… they were clearly all frozen) + heard the cake pops have 200+ ingredients in em.. YUCK
    2) Zevia (sketchy fake soda made with stevia that uses a FAKE name for aspartame.. huge scam) lots of youtubers plug em but they’re no good
    3) White bread / wonder bread (self explanatory)
    4) Hamburger helper / KD (my roomie eats it all the time.. FOUL)
    5) Shwarma (popular drunk food at my college… shaving meat of that giant skewer thing? UM I will be nomming on celery as I pass out thanks very much)

Great post! xx

02.25.13 at 11:22 pm (1 year ago)

Agreed!!! Your list is spot on. X.

Newer comments