Why I Live by the 80/20 Rule!!

Lauryn Evarts, fitness blogger, health blogger, diet blogger, and fashion blogger talks skinny tips and tricks.

Some of you have e-mailed about my diet.

And I don’t really diet.

The lifestyle I’ve adapted is called the 80/20 rule. I eat FN-ing amazing eighty percent of the time & the other twenty percent I treat myself.

Think of it like this: if I ate perfect 24/7, I’d be a real bore. If I ate like shit 100% of my life, I’d be an unhappy fatso. To be nice, sometimes you gotta be naughty. Ta da- the 80/20 rule.

Balance your diet like a bank account. If you’re eating pizza, add vegetables. If you’re drinking wine, eat a salad & protein. If you ate like crap one day, eat clean for the next two.

It’s not rocket science.

Victoria’s Secret model, Miranda Kerr said, “I adopt the 80/20 rule. 80% healthy and organic, 20% indulgent and that works for me and my body personally. I indulge occasionally and avoid counting calories.”

Her bod is insane. She maintains a realistic & relatable approach towards eating. I love.

My version of the 80/20 rule is simple. Eighty percent of the time I’ll fill up on fruits, vegetables, cold pressed juices, tea, hummus, beans, eggs, tofu, herbs, spices, water, tons of avocado, sashimi, quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, nuts, sandwiches wrapped in lettuce, &/or veggie sushi. I save my indulgences for key lime ice cream, wine, a slice of margarita pizza, a piece of sourdough toast, chips/salsa/guac with a margie poo, or some frozen gummy bears. But again, this happens only twenty percent ( sometimes less ) of the time. Being conscious of what you put in your mouth is muy importante.

At the end of day: it’s all about balance, balance, balance.

Love.L

Newer comments

25 comments on Why I Live by the 80/20 Rule!!

1. Ashley
    02.06.13 at 6:19 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Lauryn! Would you consider yourself a vegetarian?

2. Jessica Fay
    02.06.13 at 6:35 pm (2 years ago)

Amen to that! I feel and eat the exact same way! I never called it that, hadn’t really thought about it..but that is the perfect description!
    Jessica Fay recently posted..iphone DiariesMy Profile

3. Liz
    02.06.13 at 6:50 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for sharing! I try and live by this as well. Would you consider your frozen greek fro yo bites as an “80″ or a “20″?

4. Alexa
    02.06.13 at 7:01 pm (2 years ago)

Ugh, totally fabulous <3 So much love for this

5. Amelia
    02.06.13 at 7:13 pm (2 years ago)

Haha I wish my indulgent foods were as healthy as a slice of sourdough bread or chips & guac. 80% of the time I eat nuts, veggies, salmon, you get it the idea. The other 20% of the time it’s more like froyo, acai bowls, and a ton of brie and mimolette on a baguette. It’s redic. It probably cancels out all of the good I do.

6. Becky Hillyard
    02.06.13 at 8:37 pm (2 years ago)

Great post!! Very nicely put. That’s one thing some people don’t get that eating healthy isn’t 24/7, we still do indulge, just not all the time. :)
    Becky Hillyard recently posted..Quick Easy Waves in 3 StepsMy Profile

7. Sofie
    02.06.13 at 10:11 pm (2 years ago)

I know I’m gonna sound a bit retarded (sorry for the choice of word) but the 20%… would that equal to like one say a week or a snack a day? My head hasn’t been working lately I think it’s a thyroid problem causing brain fog, so I need things very simply put for me haha :)
    Sofie recently posted..Unexpected shopping results..My Profile

8. Sarah
    02.06.13 at 10:26 pm (2 years ago)

This is great!! I eat so healthy and clean, except I have the worst sweet tooth. Do you think it would be a good balance (and not put on the lbs) to have a sweet every 4 days? Does that follow the 80/20 rule?

9. De @ Cooking for the Other Half
    02.07.13 at 6:39 am (2 years ago)

This is such a great post! I was actually just talking with another friend about this very topic– it’s not about “dieting” (which sounds so temporary), it’s about a lifestyle and daily choices.
    De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..summertime in my mindMy Profile

10. Food Wine Fashion
    02.07.13 at 8:07 am (2 years ago)

I recently adopted the same rule within the last month and have lost 8 pounds virtually doing nothing – not increasing exercise or reducing food intake. The best part is as wine professional and foodie I can still drink all I need for work and enjoy the foods I want.

11. Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills
    02.07.13 at 8:12 am (2 years ago)

I 100% agree with you! And frozen gummy bears sound amazing
    Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..Love Your ArmsMy Profile

12. Anna @ Tough Lipstick
    02.07.13 at 9:47 am (2 years ago)

Totally agree with you girl! It really all does come down to balance and allowing for the small joys in life. Take care of your body, indulge every now and then, and live joyfully. Keep at it!
    Anna @ Tough Lipstick recently posted..Skinny Bites: Hu Kitchen ReviewMy Profile

13. Heather
    02.07.13 at 11:16 am (2 years ago)

I found that at a certain point, I stopped craving junk food (processed stuff) because you get so used to eating whole, healthy foods. Now, when I crave something sweet it’s almost always organic peanut butter and dark chocolate!
    Heather recently posted..Hey, HusbandMy Profile

14. Heather
    02.07.13 at 5:55 pm (2 years ago)

Totally agree and lately I have fallen off the bandwagon. Thanks for the reminder!

15. Pritha
    02.07.13 at 7:38 pm (2 years ago)

This could not have come at a better time. I totally fell off the eating-well “diet” today due to a few dumb choices but instead of being mad at myself for it- i’m going to remember that i ate really well all this week and will be diligent esp about the next two days (and longer)…

16. cortne
    02.08.13 at 5:40 am (2 years ago)

I agree Lauryn! I also think it’s the same concept for diet (I use that word loosely) and excerise. It’s 80% what you eat and 20% excerise.
    Cortne

17. Brittany
    02.08.13 at 8:45 am (2 years ago)

love love love this post! i had never heard it phrased that way, but i think that is definitely the way i like to eat as well! work hard/play hard. be good an healthy during the week and then indulge a little on saturday night/sunday brunch. by the time Monday rolls around i am looking forward to the healthy stuff as much as i was looking forward to the sweet/fattening/salty stuff i was craving on saturday night!
    Brittany recently posted..Ugly BlogMy Profile

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Why I Live by the 80/20 Rule!!

1. 30 days without gluten, sugar or dairy! | Real Food Advocate says:

[...] of eating – but more follow the 80/20 rule (great post on the Skinny¬†Confidential about that here). I don’t want to feel restricted when I go out with friends, or if it is a special occasion [...]

2. Meet Lauryn Evarts | Everything's a Thing says:

[...] When it comes to my posts, I’m writing for my kick ass readers- they inspire me daily. My lifestyle choice I’m promoting is balance. Work very hard, play kinda hard. I’m real into the 80/20 rule (see more about that here). [...]

3. How to Stop “Just This Once” Syndrome From Ruining Your Productivity says:

[...] I’m not talking about how, when you’re on a restrictive diet, you sometimes¬†build in little “cheats” to help you stick to your program. Say, the 80/20 diet. [...]