Fresh Herbs: Why they Should be in your Fridge ASAP

Lauryn Evarts, fitness and lifestyle blogger talks skinny tips and tricks for how to lose weight.

Poor herbs. They’re often forgotten. Most people will use them if they are around, but typically the aromatic leaves are not usually sought out when grocery shopping…Welp, I’m going to tell you why everyone should have herbs on hand 24/7. Like, if they’re not in your refrigerator now, go run to store & buy some. Why? Here’s why:

++ Herb Benefits [ in appropriate picture order ]:

+ Basil: ahhhh! My most favorite herb. I could inhale the smell for days. Basil has plenty of antioxidants & anti-inflammatory properties. Super, super low calories & cholesterol, but the flavorful leaves contain so many essential nutrients. I’m obsessed with this on brown rice pasta with fresh tomato sauce + lemon.

+ Rosemary: helllllo, vitamins! This savory herb is full of them- think Vitamin A & C . It also has iron, potassium, calcium, & manganese [ an antioxidant ]. Major plus: helps fight off colds, the flu, & depression. Rosemary is fab in fresh bread, salads, & quinoa.

+ Mint: amazing for acne or pimples [ especially mint juice ]. If you’re feeling anxious, it’s known as one of the most calming herbs. I die over a hot cup of mint tea too. The best part? It promotes digestion & freshens breath. Mojito, anyone?

+ Cilantro: maintains a healthy liver, rids bloat, & boosts the immune system. This herb also detoxifies your body [ <<< I am definitely eating some of this tonight! ]. I always put cilantro in my guacamole or salsa.

+ Dill: helps with hiccups, digestion, menstrual cramps, & insomnia. Also dill is a diuretic- the perfect pre-poolside herb. Add some to a cucumber salad before you get into a summer bikini ; ).

P.S. There are tons of amazing herbs out there to experiment with, these are just some of the ones I use frequently. You can find a more in-depth list here- so, pick your poison & eventually you will not cook without them! xx.

Lauryn Evarts talks juicing and skinny tips. She is a fitness and wellness blogger from Southern California with weight loss tricks.

19 comments on Fresh Herbs: Why they Should be in your Fridge ASAP

1. Arantha
    05.31.12 at 5:57 pm (2 years ago)

I love fresh herbs but I didn’t know about all the health benefits!! Thanks! Huge fan of your blog! I check it daily. :)

Arantha
    Arantha recently posted..Summer Dresses Under $50My Profile

2. curlijuli
    05.31.12 at 8:36 pm (2 years ago)

Great post! I have mint and basil growing in my back yard and its amazing:) basil needs some watering and taking care of sometimes but mint is 100% easy – you plant it once and its going to be there forever! I also remember from school that when you are getting ready for some exams you need to keep some rosemary around – the smell activates some brain functions which help us to learn everything better and faster.
    xoxo
    curlijuli recently posted..Strawberry and Cheese SkewersMy Profile

3. Sarah
    05.31.12 at 8:56 pm (2 years ago)

I just adore your blog. You have such great style and I love your healthy living posts!! I just planted basil, mint and green onions. I’m super excited to start incorporating them into my diet! How do you make mint tea? Do you just take the fresh leaves and boil hot water with them?
    Sarah recently posted..Cinnamon Rolls and Kale SaladMy Profile

06.01.12 at 12:29 am (2 years ago)

Wow- thank you Sarah! I am honestly flattered ; ). I like to take a packet of mint, herbal tea and boil it with mint leaves. I also rim the glass with mint. Hope that helps! xoxo

4. Katherine @ Green Thickies
    06.01.12 at 4:28 am (2 years ago)

Thank you for this guide to the health benefits of herbs. That’s great to know and inspiring to eat more of a variety of herbs. I absolutely love herbs. I think they really give a hot meal that professional taste and I use them in my green smoothies and green thickies (filling meal drink including oats) and they make them taste so fresh. I can’t get enough of them!
    Katherine @ Green Thickies recently posted..The secret to dramatically improved health in just 20 minutes a dayMy Profile

5. jennifer
    06.01.12 at 4:52 am (2 years ago)

I am a vegetarian and this nutritious idea that you share with us is truly indeed, hope you will continually provide a healthy ideas that can help us to become an effective ones…
    jennifer recently posted..Alternatives to Fiverr.comMy Profile

6. Melissa Bashaw
    06.01.12 at 8:04 am (2 years ago)

Hey Lauren!

I love the herb post. Have you ever thought about doing a post on Water/Juices? Meaning= Cantalope water, Watermelon water, Hibiscus or Cucumber, Lemon and Mint? I make these during the summer when its too hot to eat ;) Hope you are well! xoxo

7. Laura
    06.01.12 at 3:42 pm (2 years ago)

I need to keep this bookmarked and refer to it often! It’s so interesting!
    Laura recently posted..Hawaiian SmoothieMy Profile

8. Nuha
    06.04.12 at 5:07 pm (2 years ago)

i absolutely love summer for the simple fact that I can plant a bunch of herbs in my garden. It’s so amazing to be able to incorporate something that I, personally, have grown into my meal.

p.s. off to check out your “infused” waters!
    Nuha recently posted..Life, LatelyMy Profile

9. Andrea Merrigan
    07.22.12 at 1:09 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the great tips on herbs. I struggle growing herbs and really dont buy fresh herbs at the store. I am going to try now! Wanted to let you know I linked it up for my Weekend Wanderings post.

10. Numbers Szekely
    06.16.13 at 8:30 am (1 year ago)

Cold remedies are almost as common as the common cold, and many are nearly as ancient. The use of chicken soup as a congestion cure dates back centuries. But is longevity any guarantee that a cold remedy works? Do effective cold remedies even exist? Here’s a look at some common cold remedies and what’s known about them. ,*..`

Most recently released write-up coming from our very own web site http://homefamilydigest.com/index.php

11. chinese herbal remedies
    09.16.13 at 5:03 pm (11 months ago)

Heya excellent website! Does running a blog like this require a lot of work?
    I’ve no understanding of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon.
    Anyhow, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners
    please share. I know this is off topic but I simply needed to ask.
    Kudos!
    chinese herbal remedies recently posted..chinese herbal remediesMy Profile

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Fresh Herbs: Why they Should be in your Fridge ASAP

1. [...] it up! I use spices & herbs [ more info found here ] on everything…barely any cals & oh, so [...]

2. [...] Herbs galore…basil, mint, thyme, cilantro, [...]